Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse Clutches

The pros are you hardly ever stall the bike and you can make it up really gnarly stuff without doing the clutch work just concentrate on the obstacles.

The cons are sometimes you forget it is in the bike after you crash and it is still running in gear and you grab the throttle and it takes off on you and if you slip it in high gear too much you can wear out plates faster. Overall it is the best mod I have ever made to my bikes. I am on my third bike with the Rekluse in it and they work awesome.

• Like 1

The pros are you hardly ever stall the bike and you can make it up really gnarly stuff without doing the clutch work just concentrate on the obstacles.

The cons are sometimes you forget it is in the bike after you crash and it is still running in gear and you grab the throttle and it takes off on you and if you slip it in high gear too much you can wear out plates faster. Overall it is the best mod I have ever made to my bikes. I am on my third bike with the Rekluse in it and they work awesome.

+1 - Love it! Pro's have far out weighed the cons IMO.

I just installed one this past week and finally got to take it out today!

It was weird not using my clutch lever but after a few minutes I started to love the idea of just shifting and stopping in any gear w/out stalling! I did as much as I could on the frozen/wooded hills I live around. I did test it by getting stuck in some snow/ice on a rocky hill. It was amazing how easy it was to get out of that mess compared to clutching my way out. I am on a 2000 Honda CR250, BTW. I also wiped out (slid out) when I tried to gun it around a corner. The ground here is still frozen under the half thawed top inch of soil, so super greasy. The bike was in 2nd gear as I pulled it back up. It was still running, I hopped on, and took off in 2nd without a problem. I am loving this investment! I cannot wait to get out on the MX course. I installed the Rekluse Z-Start Pro. Easy to install, easy to set-up, and easy to break in.

I just installed one this past week and finally got to take it out today!

It was weird not using my clutch lever but after a few minutes I started to love the idea of just shifting and stopping in any gear w/out stalling! I did as much as I could on the frozen/wooded hills I live around. I did test it by getting stuck in some snow/ice on a rocky hill. It was amazing how easy it was to get out of that mess compared to clutching my way out. I am on a 2000 Honda CR250, BTW. I also wiped out (slid out) when I tried to gun it around a corner. The ground here is still frozen under the half thawed top inch of soil, so super greasy. The bike was in 2nd gear as I pulled it back up. It was still running, I hopped on, and took off in 2nd without a problem. I am loving this investment! I cannot wait to get out on the MX course. I installed the Rekluse Z-Start Pro. Easy to install, easy to set-up, and easy to break in.

im not familar with the rekluse. do you still have a clutch lever? i would love to have a hand rear brake

I don't mean to rob the thread, but do you still have to clutch to shift gears? I'm not one of the guys that shifts without the clutch so I was just wondering.

im not familar with the rekluse. do you still have a clutch lever? i would love to have a hand rear brake

Don't quote me on this, but they make an option where you can replace your clutch with a rear brake.

The Rekluse clutch is simple: it's an expand 'disc' that engages the clutch with a rise in rpms. You never have to touch the clutch again if you don't want to.

HOWEVER: the snap of the motor is softened by quite a bit, you have to purchase the Pro version if you want your clutch lever to feel normal and still 'fan', and it requires re-adjusting in the field to be able to bump start.

I have one on my KX450l and it works fine.

I don't mean to rob the thread, but do you still have to clutch to shift gears? I'm not one of the guys that shifts without the clutch so I was just wondering.

Yea you can use the clutch to shift but what is the point when you have a rekluse? Remember I installed the z-start pro so it has a few more options.

OP... check out the "off road riding technique" forum under building a woods weapon. LOL! there is a heated debate going on, lots of talk about rekluse and lots of arguing. :bonk:

OP... check out the "off road riding technique" forum under building a woods weapon. LOL! there is a heated debate going on, lots of talk about rekluse and lots of arguing. :bonk:

disgraceful if you ask me..but your mistaken about the debate being about auto clutches.. the guy insists that a few oz of flywheel weight is a loss of HP. It' aint.

I race A class harescrambles and have ridden dirt all my life (im 43) and roadrace too. I had always been a "autoclutch is for puss ies guy till i kept getting beat on my crf450 by guys that have em. Adding a recluse changed made it easier for me to go fast, and beat the 2 guys that had consistantly beaten me (and take a short lead of the Sr A class points). It was nice not stalling any longer, and not having my left arm nearly falling off late in the 2 hr race. 450's don't have an easy clutch pull. I have talked with GNCC guys that don't race with em. Direct quote from CHarlie Mullins himself that he doesnt' use the auto clutch but DOES use Recluse baskets and other parts as he says they are more durable. Remember that ktm's have hydro clutches though, and gncc courses tend to be a bit more open than enduro races and the tight sections of harescrambles.

As some exelently explained, the newer exp clutch is an expandable fiber clutch disk. The cheaper exp2.0 is just the ring and you have to take some plates out to make room for it. I like that you easily adjust it at the clutch perch. You can literally install and adjust in 10 minutes. The core is that part AND lots of other stuff, and it needs adjusted on the pressure plate requiring the clutch cover to come off.. it is more durable though as your using all the plates and adding the exp ring. I don't know much about the older z-start pro but it has the floppy clutch lever. The exp and expCORE have a stock clutch feel.

There are some riders that love em, some riders take em out and dont like em. For most riders it makes riding much more enjoyable and even fast riders can go faster.

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 1

When I first installed a z start I did not like it. I rode a few times with it installed, took it out for a ride and then re-installed. I haven't looked back since. I really didn't like the clutch pull of the z start. So when I got my 300, I opted for the core exp. Absolutely love the clutch.

As I've posted before..If you're considering an auto clutch, take rekluse up on their 30 day guarantee. Taken from their website.

WARRANTY AND RETURN POLICY

Rekluse Products are warranted for one (1) year from the purchase date of the original product shipment from REKLUSE against defects in materials and workmanship. If REKLUSE receives notice of such defects during the warranty period, REKLUSE will replace products which prove to be defective. Warranty does not include other parts or labor for removal or replacement of warranted part. THIS IS AN EXCLUSIVE REMEDY AND REKLUSE SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY OF ANY TYPE BEYOND REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.

Rekluse products have a 30-Day Money Back Policy for products purchased in the US. After trying the Rekluse product, if you are not fully satisfied within the first thirty days from date of purchase, Rekluse will refund the purchase price of the product upon receipt of the returned product under a valid RA number, see below.

All returns must be approved by Rekluse. Rekluse will issue a specific return authorization number (RA#) which must be clearly labeled on the returned product. Rekluse will not reimburse for freight. Please contact Customer Service by calling 1.866.735.5873. Rekluse will not accept any returns without a documented RA number.

The Rekluse clutch is simple: it's an expand 'disc' that engages the clutch with a rise in rpms. You never have to touch the clutch again if you don't want to.

HOWEVER: the snap of the motor is softened by quite a bit, you have to purchase the Pro version if you want your clutch lever to feel normal and still 'fan', and it requires re-adjusting in the field to be able to bump start.

I have one on my KX450l and it works fine.

try changing out the springs in your rekluse exp. stock come with 3 blue and 3 red.

try using all 6 red springs in your exp. it engages the rekluse way quicker and makes a noticeable difference. it did for me!

for me it goes like this (this is for the rekluse EXP 2.0)

pros:

-no stalling. i have stalled my bike once sines its been in. and i have had mine for over almost a year now.

-better cornering!!!!! yes its true. it gives you more confedance to come in to the corner at a higher speed with out feeling lie your gonna kill it from bogging but once you snap the throttle your gone!!!

-better traction. the rekluse exp disk can slip my clutch better that my finger ever could.

-faster starts

-engine breaking. its almost like its gone but its still there. for me its almost like i can control my engine breaking so i can coast when i wanna go fast and rev a little and my rekluse picks up and starts to slow me down before i slow down completely or before i make a turn or what ever you need to slow down for.

-you still have your clutch feel. your clutch lever is still there and its still usable.

cons:

-you cant bump start on the run. how ever you can adjust your cable back to to have free play in your clutch lever and bump start encase your bike fails

-you lever pull gits stiffer. about 30-50%

hope this helps

this link here will help you more. in this link there is more links and more links about rekluse clutches. have fun reading if your serious about rekluses clutch. they are the sh!t and i love em!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/942810-rekluse-choices/

p.s. do read it all some people got a lot of good to say. (mostly in the link with in the link) hahah just look lol

For me, the Rekluse freed up a somewhat arthritic left hand. I've got the LHRB and it works nicely. Most times I don't even miss the foot brake, but sometimes I wish I'd gone with that option.

The freedom from stalling, much more consistent clutch work, and smooth power delivery are great. I finally got where I could consistently make the mountain switchbacks that had eluded me without the Rekluse. Hill climbs were suddenly doable for me. Less falling from stalling engine. I have the Z-Start and it has not affected engine braking at all (mine is set for low rpm engagement). I also have the 2-finger clutch over ride and, well, it works - that's all I'll give it. No feel at all. I do wish I could use the clutch to help lift the front end and such, but that's about all. Mine's been in for over 6K miles without any adjustment necessary.

For me, the Rekluse freed up a somewhat arthritic left hand. I've got the LHRB and it works nicely. Most times I don't even miss the foot brake, but sometimes I wish I'd gone with that option.

The freedom from stalling, much more consistent clutch work, and smooth power delivery are great. I finally got where I could consistently make the mountain switchbacks that had eluded me without the Rekluse. Hill climbs were suddenly doable for me. Less falling from stalling engine. I have the Z-Start and it has not affected engine braking at all (mine is set for low rpm engagement). I also have the 2-finger clutch over ride and, well, it works - that's all I'll give it. No feel at all. I do wish I could use the clutch to help lift the front end and such, but that's about all. Mine's been in for over 6K miles without any adjustment necessary.

exactly. A fellow srA racer buddy of mine had recently had surgery on his wrist. the recluse allowed him to complete the 2 hour harescrambles where he had not been able to before. The smoother power delivery made the bike easier for him and he was already a VERY good rider.

Yea you can use the clutch to shift but what is the point when you have a rekluse? Remember I installed the z-start pro so it has a few more options.

Ok, I just wasn't for sure because I'm pretty sure the RPMs have to fall all the way down for the clutch to fully engage and I didn't know if you were just revving it to the moon if you could just clutch it instead to get a quicker shift instead of letting your RPMs fall all the way back down. Because to me, if you shifted as your RPMs were decreasing, your Rekluse wouldn't last as long as it would if you were to let the clutch fully engage. I could be wrong though... haven't read a whole lot about them. Either way, it'd be nice to have one.

try changing out the springs in your rekluse exp. stock come with 3 blue and 3 red.

try using all 6 red springs in your exp. it engages the rekluse way quicker and makes a noticeable difference. it did for me!

I already have (6) silver springs (the softest) after trying other combinations. I also have the lesser-known 'heavy' wedges. My clutch engages nice and early. It's still a 'auto clutch' though, so if you want to loft your front wheel over an object, and you can't use full throttle, it's very hard to do with the auto clutch, as it engages so slowly, and not always in the exact same rpms. But I get it. I like what it does, I just wish I could turn it 'all the way off' when riding, so I could only use it for ultra-tight uphill single track.