Sign in to follow this  

Transmission Removal Help Please

I have an 02 YZ250 and I am trying to remove the transmission to figure out why the bike will not stay in 1st gear. I watched the videos and all that from the Rocky Mtn ATV site. It looked like he was working on a YZ250, to me. anyway he says the once the case is split and all the transmission should just come right out. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Video/100 (1:30 - 2:05) Well, mine doen't. Did he skip some stuff. Like the shift drum. How does one remove it? It looks like it takes some kinda of funky/expensive tool.

Thanks in advance!

Zeb

So far I remember use a 12er socket to remove the drum from the side where the clutch sits. First the mechanism of the gear change, where the shift shafts ends then you see which screw ist left to remove the gear drum.

It will come out if you took the clutch side stuff first like you are suposed to. It will come right out

You need to pull the shift shaft and both gear sets all out at the same time. If it doesn't come out you forgot something on the outside of the cases.

i think you are talking abouut the shift star mechanizm

Correct, 12mm long socket is needed to unscrew the bolt/shaft in the middle of the star mechanism which holds the shift drum in place.