Sign in to follow this  

How much tire pressure?

Most of my riding is in areas that are a mixture of dirt, mud, and a lot of rocks. I know less pressure helps in softening the bumps, but if I ower pressure too much, I will risk damaging my rims.

What pressure do you guys reccomend for rocky areas? Front/back?

For rocks I use 13 or 14. I'm 165 pounds before gear and not the most gentle of riders, ha.

For most terrain it's 12. Mud is 10.

I generally run between 13-15psi on the front and 12-16psi on the rear. Obviously the softer the ground the lower I go and vice versa. I have Maxxis enduro tires on my WR and these pressures seem to handle anything.

My two cents

For trail riding in rocky areas, I've found that if I run 14 - 15 psi, I can hit rocks at high speed with reduced fear of pinched flats and bent rims. I also noticed the bike felt more stable in higher speed turns on hardpack. Seems to make sense, although seems like most people are running lower pressures. I ride in a very rocky area.

Most of my traction issues are from loose dirt and rocks. I didn't see much of an improvement in those conditions by dropping to 12 - 13 psi. Biggest improvement in those conditions were new tires, of course.

No issues climbing granite rock formations with 14 - 15 psi. When climbing hills, the traction seems so much better on the granite rock formations than in the loose dirt and rocks that I don't see much benefit in dropping the pressure.

a LOT depends on what tire and what tube you are using.

put a trellborg on the back and you can run 6psi with a normal tube and 4psi with a heavyduty. sure it weighs 14lbs but thats part of its niche.

even those in the same brand same class (ex michelin s12/m12/h12) will take different psi to run best.

and then there is your bike and your setup and your suspension and how you like your feel.

I'm reading and soaking this up. Don't think I'm ignoring the posts.

I have a dunlop tire. It's a 120/100/18. The bike came with a 100/100/18, but I wanted a little more grip, especially now that the bike is tuned in well.

My rear m12 likes to be at around 10 psi....every tire will be a little different as previously mentioned.

When the trails get a little sloppy (like now) I will even go down to about 7 or 8 for the extra hook up...but we ride

slow tight single track (lots of trees on the wet coast..haha).

i run an HD tube with 2 bead locks out back and have never had an issue.

For rockier trails you proly want to keep the pressure up a tad.

my $.02

Im with Engloid, I just put a 120/90 on my wr250f rear...put a new front on too, both s12s...with msr HD tubes yesterday. To be honest buying the 120 was by mistake....but then I looked into it and sounded like it could be good. I ride mostly sandy/loamy trails, and I too have been wondering what best PSI to put it at. I have a lil 12v compressor i could change them with for diff trails if need be, but what would be ideal for mostly sand, with some harder packed sand, and some loam? I was thinkin like 12.

And, does this mean you set front also @ 12?

Also, I know they say air down to get more grip with sand and stuff, but already being an s12 AND a 120 on a 250f, would I almost be better off leaving the rear a lil harder so its slightly better on harder terrain? Say 13-13.5

Not too sure on all the air pressure do's and don'ts, and I am not trying to hi-jack, but its just closely related, and i figure better then a whole new topic.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

Tyre pressure to soften bumps? -yes it will but really that considration needs to be suspension setup. My rule of thumb is run pressuers as low as you can get away with, as you will have picked up from the previous posts, tyre size and design has a part to play a wide tyre at low pressure will wobble and and feel washy in corners so I don't run my front (S12) less than about 12psi. Back tyres I have weasured down to 6psi after a ride turned in to an absolute mud fest. -but I was carefull how I attacked some sections with sharp edges and rock to not get pinch flats, so I was slower in these areas but past alot of riders that could not get traction on the greasy hills.

What I quite often do is start at 16psi and stop on the trail or practise lap and adjust tyre pressure a bit till I feel like I am getting the best traction, after a while you get a feel about how much you can squeeze your tyre as to how much pressure is in it. Then check your pressures when you get home and remember that is what worked on the day, dependant on location and weather coditions and time of year.

Edited by longerdeeper