Atlanta SX...who's going ?

Dang, Friday? What will there be to do till saturday, practice?

I think sun we are going to the Georgia Aquarium then drive back home.

Its about a 9 hr drive for us. So we will leave around 9 or 10am get to the motel and check in and stuff.

You going to the daytona SX ? We are only about 30 min from there.

Edited by Ron731

Haha, no, I am lucky to be going to this one. I would to plan that trip sometime though.

We hope to get there around lunchtime saturday. Never been to one so looking forward to it.

Cool were you guys setting at? We are in section # 242.

Ill get some good pics of daytona for you and post them up.

Ron.

Haha, no, I am lucky to be going to this one. I would to plan that trip sometime though.

We hope to get there around lunchtime saturday. Never been to one so looking forward to it.

G,

Its a good time. My son and I went last year and had a big time. We stayed at the Hilton near the dome and acted like tourist for two days. We were going to go again, but DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT, I have a work related weekend retreat that I am obligated to attend. I have promised my boy a weekend at Durhamtown as a consolation prize. Enjoy it!

Edited by ncbiker

I have heard that it's a little sketchy in and around the dome, for staying overnight. Anyone have any suggestions other than the Hilton? ncbiker, is the Hilton in a good area? May just drive back up the road a bit and stay at a hotel along the highway. May have to grab a 5 hr energy and just drive on home.. LOL

We will be at the Omni in the CNN center. We booked the room about 3 months ahead of the race and are paying around 110.00 a night.

Yea I found this don't know how true it is but Ill keep my eyes open LOL. The Hilton is close by the dome and a few I talked to said its safe. But that was a few yrs ago.

Okay, general guidelines of places to avoid, the number one place is between 75 north of downtown, 285 on the west side and 20 west. Right along 75/85 in the midtown/downtown area it's fine, but any further west of that and it's not safe. A good rule to abide by is, in downtown, don't go west of Northside Drive— meaning the Georgia Dome, Centennial Park, etc. is the farthest west you should go. This area is home to Vine City and English Avenue, locally known as "The Bluff", the worst neighborhood in Atlanta.

The second place to avoid is a small section of Boulevard, which is what Monroe Drive turns into if you head south— this is around the Atlanta Medical Center. It's really not all that bad to drive through, but I wouldn't get out and walk. If you keep heading south Boulevard gets nice again.

The third place is the triangle formed by interstate 20 east, interstate 75 south, and 285, or Southeast Atlanta. Generally, don't go too far south of I-20 or you get into kind of a rough area. Grant Park, East Atlanta, these neighbourhoods are very safe. But much further south, not so much.

The fourth area is Southwest Atlanta. Parts of this area are very bad, such as directly south of I-20 and west of I-75/85— this is where Mechanicsville and Pittsburgh are. Bad neighbourhoods— avoid. West End is borderline, Capitol View was getting nicer but the recession has set that back some. College Park used to be bad, but is now almost entirely safe. Parts of East Point you will want to avoid, but much of it is nice. Roads to avoid are Metropolitan Parkway (or Stewart Avenue) and parts of Campbellton Road and all of University Avenue.

Edited by Ron731

My plans are to drive to the dome, spend the afternoon and eve there, then head back up 85 toward home. Thanks for the info Ron, but I don't think I will be venturing too far off my path to get there or back.

looks like we will need some binoculars. haha

I don't think we are going to stay downtown, or anywhere for that matter. I just can't see paying for a room to sleep for a few hours.

When does the festivities begin Sat? Will getting there around lunch be ok? I assume we will be able to park near or at the dome and walk in? What kind of cash will I need to take? Will a debit card work for most stuff? cash for parking, etc? I just want to be prepared and once there, not have to worry about coming and going.

Is the dome covered, temp controlled? I know we will want some coats, but wondering if we will need them during the race.

My plan is to arrive around lunch, and spend the afternoon in the pits getting autographs and then heading to our seats for the heats and races, leaving after the main and coming home.. Sound about right? I take it the main will end about 11-11:30 pm?

Is the dome covered, temp controlled? I know we will want some coats, but wondering if we will need them during the race.

My plan is to arrive around lunch, and spend the afternoon in the pits getting autographs and then heading to our seats for the heats and races, leaving after the main and coming home.. Sound about right? I take it the main will end about 11-11:30 pm?

Yep the dome is covered.

I think the pits open around 12:30 . Yea the main should be done by 11:00 Did you get your pit passes yet?

Here's some parking info on the dome http://gadome.com/guest/directions/Parking.aspx

Main Event - 7:00PM

Doors Open/Practice & Qualifying - 12:30PM

I am a Cross Club member with supercrossonline. I have a form to fill out to take to the will call booth and pick up our free pit passes.

IDK whether to wait till then to get them, or go ahead and pick some up at Subway.??

Edited by gmoss

I don't think we are going to stay downtown, or anywhere for that matter. I just can't see paying for a room to sleep for a few hours.

When does the festivities begin Sat? Will getting there around lunch be ok? I assume we will be able to park near or at the dome and walk in? What kind of cash will I need to take? Will a debit card work for most stuff? cash for parking, etc? I just want to be prepared and once there, not have to worry about coming and going.

I do not know when festivities officially begin. We went in around 2;00 or so and had plenty of time to do everthing that we wanted to do. That may be different if you are really looking to get an autograph. Lines were long for that. The popular riders sign autographs during specified times. I think some of them hand out a specified number of tickets that will get you in the line to get an autograph.

Parking is on-site unless you want to find street parking somewhere. I am sure it will at least $10 in the deck, maybe more. I would carry some cash and have the debit card as backup. Yeah, its a covered and climate controlled dome. Your guess on ending time sounds about right.

Practice starts at 12:30 and I think the pit party starts around the same time. Last year we found an unlocked door and were able to sneak into the pit party about an hour before it started.. We got really lucky and were able to walk right up to all the teams with no lines. (I think they though we were with one of the riders) The only time you'll need a coat is going in and out, and walking from the pit party, to the practice, and races. The pit party is in a building right beside the dome. The riders go thru an underground tunnel between the two buildings. You'll have to walk outside but the buildings are right beside each other.

If you do decide to stay the night. The OMNI is the closest hotel. The advantage of staying the night is you don't have to fight traffic getting out of there when its over.. It's nice being able to just walk back to the room.

The walk isn't bad either.. You'll be with a ton of other SX fans. Either way.. you'll have fun!!

We'll be in Section 115 Row 8 and holding up KDUB signs... If you see us say hey.