XR down. So how do we start it now ?

Hello. I have some engine start questions.

Question 1:

I drive and suddenly i am kissing the mud. As you can imagine starting the engine is not that easy after that (stock carb) .

So what do you do to make that start more easy ? I had to take get almost naked on the mountain cause i was sweating like hell until i got that engine running :bonk:

Question 2:

I read and got suggested (when hard to start when cold) to hold decompressor, chocke full on, hold the kill switch, kick a dozen of times and then give it it a normal kick. My question is if it dangerous to use the kickstarter while i hold the decompressor. The vavles are open at that point. Is there anything that could go wrong like the piston hiting the vavles ?

Which XR? If it's not a 400 or 600, just kick it without holding any levers.

Better yet, Get going down a hill in second gear and let out the clutch and bumpstart it, but that's not always an option. :bonk:

You're not hurting anything by holding the decomp lever. It was designed to be held while kicking.I have never kicked a bike for practice, so that habit of kicking it a bunch while holding the kill switch sounds exhausting.

Which XR? If it's not a 400 or 600, just kick it without holding any levers.

Better yet, Get going down a hill in second gear and let out the clutch and bumpstart it, but that's not always an option.?

You're not hurting anything by holding the decomp lever. It was designed to be held while kicking.I have never kicked a bike for practice, so that habit of kicking it a bunch while holding the kill switch sounds exhausting.

Sorry for not mentioning. XR400.

Yes, going down a hill while being in a narrow path is not always an option :bonk:

As for being exhausting, it is something that i have to do when the engine is cold and denies to start.

Usually the restart problem is from flooding so you need to purge the excess fuel out of the engine. I've found the best method is to hold the throttle wide open while kicking, using the lever holds an exhaust valve open and the engine won't pump as much air. When the engine has a fuel air mixture that will work it will fire, I continue holding the throttle wide open until the engine clears and begins to rev.

Hot start drill.

Put the bike in neutral.

Pull in the comp release.

Full throttle.  Kick over 6 to 10 times.

Release the comp lever, find TDC, and give a good kick.

If you try to cheat, you'll just burn up energy.  

It's like a tax on being stupid or lazy.   You'll kick forever.

Yup, X2 on this works every time for me..... when I can't just bump start after coasting. Also, try not falling down. My XR400 will go over almost anything if I just shift down and twist the throttle.

Hot start drill.

Put the bike in neutral.

Pull in the comp release.

Full throttle. Kick over 6 to 10 times.

Release the comp lever, find TDC, and give a good kick.

If you try to cheat, you'll just burn up energy.

It's like a tax on being stupid or lazy. You'll kick forever.

So its almost the same as starting it when cold. Just at this time to use full throttle. How about the fuel ? Do i have to switch it off during this process before doing the final kick ?

It is also a relief knowing that the decompressor cannot harm the valves.

RBRXRMAN: yes not falling down is an option. the point is that its almost unlikely to go for a ride on the mountains and not fall down? I am still an enduro newbie :bonk:

How about the fuel ? Do i have to switch it off during this process before doing the final kick ?

I never do. If you have your float levels set properly, shutting the petcock off won't do anything. Then if you forget to turn it back on, especially when riding in the mountains, the bowl always runs out of fuel at the most inoportune time.

I must be the luckiest guy around. My xr4 is the easiest bike to start Ive ever had.

When I got it i had it bored to a 426. I had a local car engine builder to put a 3 way grind of the valve seats and lap the valves. Comp 10 to 1 wiesco piston.

I put it all together and presto, easy to start bike (that was completely unplanned. ) hot or cold.

Anyway heres what I do,

Hot.

1. slowly kick the bike till you feel resistance. Thats the beginning of the compression storke,

2 Push the kicker starter carefully till you feel a kind of notch. Thats when the piston passes TDC. Stop.

3. return the kick starter to the top and kick. Ride into the sunset.

Cold: Same as above except turn the idle screw up about 1/2 turn.

Come to think of it, I keep my idle screw up a little more than most. I truely believe that helps

more than realized. (Stock carb too)

Note: I make sure my valve clearance is dead on too.

Ive crashed several times, and the above method has always worked for me. Never had to do the full throttle./ kick technique.

I must be the luckiest guy around. My xr4 is the easiest bike to start Ive ever had.

When I got it i had it bored to a 426. I had a local car engine builder to put a 3 way grind of the valve seats and lap the valves. Comp 10 to 1 wiesco piston.

I put it all together and presto, easy to start bike (that was completely unplanned. ) hot or cold.

Anyway heres what I do,

Hot.

1. slowly kick the bike till you feel resistance. Thats the beginning of the compression storke,

2 Push the kicker starter carefully till you feel a kind of notch. Thats when the piston passes TDC. Stop.

3. return the kick starter to the top and kick. Ride into the sunset.

Cold: Same as above except turn the idle screw up about 1/2 turn.

Come to think of it, I keep my idle screw up a little more than most. I truely believe that helps

more than realized. (Stock carb too)

Note: I make sure my valve clearance is dead on too.

Ive crashed several times, and the above method has always worked for me. Never had to do the full throttle./ kick technique.

When hot the engine fires with one kick. What you are describing here is a normal starting process. This does not work on my engine in case the bike falls down.

I will try this with the full throttle the guyes suggested. Untill now i was doing it without the decompression.

In any case the engine was starting, but until that point i lost like 2kg of weight :bonk:

I'm with xrvic. I've never had to do any of the starting rituals. Whether the bike is hot, cold,flooded, just been upside down, it doesn't matter.

Just kick it a couple of times, and it is running. No decomp lever, no TDC, just kick it. Maybe it's just clean living?