Sign in to follow this  

2001 cr250 kickstart lever scraping against frame on kicks.

I never noticed it until now but I've shaved a good 1/8 of the frame off. Kinda pissed about it, but so does anybody know whats wrong or how to fix it?

needs a kick starter. all these parts are aluminum, shits weak and is only magnified by people who kick the shit out of their bikes as well as people who have horribly tuned pilot circuits which require 30 kicks when cold.

mines gouged pretty good too, but a new kick starter fixed it. new kick starter is reatively cheap, around the cost of a rear tire if you get TT to price match these guys

http://www.cyclecent...=2001&fveh=3272

youre gonna spend close to half trying to rebuild the thing and i dont even know where the play comes from, it might be from the spindle or it might be internal where the ball joint (not really a ball joint) sits. if its in the arm itself, you cant even buy it seperately and youd be out for a kickstart lever and the $35 you spent trying to fix it. not worth it. $70ish bucks and you save your frame from further damage.

Edited by mynewcr250
  • Like 1

Damn I pryed the damn #3 kick arm joint off and damaged the bearing behind it. I gouged the rubber a bit, so what part is that? If you could show me that on the parts page I would appreciate it. I wish I never bought this damn troubled bike, I will never get a honda again.

Damn I pryed the damn #3 kick arm joint off and damaged the bearing behind it. I gouged the rubber a bit, so what part is that? If you could show me that on the parts page I would appreciate it. I wish I never bought this damn troubled bike, I will never get a honda again.

you damaged the bearing in the case? you mean the dust seal? there is no bearing there.

you got a awesome bike man, that generation honda is sweet. as of today, i know 3 dudes locally i ride with that own 01's, i run the 00. great, real low maintanance bikes IMO man. i spend more money on tires, plastics, and oil than i do on anything mechanically with the bike.

Edited by mynewcr250

What is the black round seal on the motor behind the kickstarter?

What is the black round seal on the motor behind the kickstarter?

its just a dust seal that sits around the kickstarter spindle to keep dirt out. its replaceable from the outside. costs a little over $3. unfortunately it wont let me link to the right page, but if you click on "right crankcase cover" its part #6.

when my kickstarter got all loose i just took it apart and stretched out the spring behind the bearing. then put a thin copper washer on top of the post to help stiffen it up. kinda ghetto rigged but it works and didnt cost a dime.

needs a kick starter. all these parts are aluminum, shits weak and is only magnified by people who kick the shit out of their bikes as well as people who have horribly tuned pilot circuits which require 30 kicks when cold.

mines gouged pretty good too, but a new kick starter fixed it. new kick starter is reatively cheap, around the cost of a rear tire if you get TT to price match these guys

http://www.cyclecent...=2001&fveh=3272

youre gonna spend close to half trying to rebuild the thing and i dont even know where the play comes from, it might be from the spindle or it might be internal where the ball joint (not really a ball joint) sits. if its in the arm itself, you cant even buy it seperately and youd be out for a kickstart lever and the $35 you spent trying to fix it. not worth it. $70ish bucks and you save your frame from further damage.

Thanks for the info, mine is starting to graze the frame too.

Its just a kickstarter, just go get another one.

Edited by Nummie

Yea I did, $98....... Only reason I got it was because mine was missing pieces anyway. I also don't want further frame damage.

My cr is doing the same thing. Is the material that has the kick starter stops aluminum? If it is I'm just gonna have somebody at work weld it up real quick then ill just sand it flat.

Well new kickstarter is on and its tight and smooth as butter :bonk: sanded up the frame scrapes and looks pretty but the damage is done and I know its still there.

• Like 1