Sign in to follow this  

'07 occasional loud "squeal" when releasing clutch, suggestions?

When I let the clutch out I occasionally hear a loud squealing noise. I only notice it right as I start moving from a stop, I never heard it while on the track. It happens infrequently enough that it's hard to force it to happen. Hinson basket looks great, as does OEM hub and pressure plate (replaced a year ago). Clutch is OEM I installed 100 or so hours ago. Fibers are thicker than minimum spec. Steels do have some blueing on some. Springs were slightly shorter than spec, so I replaced with EBC heavy duty, which had zero affect on this issue. Tried the adding extra trick, didn't help. It runs great, but something is definitely not right since it didn't do this for the first 240 hours but it's been doing it for the last 10...

Thinking next replace the needle bearing inside the basket and the bearing at the end of the lifter rod, although they look fine. And/or new OEM clutch. Any thoughts?

Edited by emerybrian

You said the fibers were thicker than spec? That may be a problem. With the clutch full disengaged there might not be enough room in the clutch pack to properly oil the discs. The steels being blued is a sign of slipping and a shit load of heat. You may want to pull that clutch pack and check all the steels for flatness. The squeal is coming from some kind of chatter.

How much oil do you run in the transmission?

Should have said fibers are thicker than service minimum limit, it's not like they're thicker than stock or something.

I always ran 600-650cc of oil. Since this noise started a few weeks ago I tried extra, like 700-750cc. Didn't make any difference.

Should have said fibers are thicker than service minimum limit, it's not like they're thicker than stock or something.

I always ran 600-650cc of oil. Since this noise started a few weeks ago I tried extra, like 700-750cc. Didn't make any difference.

The bluing is more of a concern really. The only reason for that bluing is slipping and if it got hot enough to blue up the steels, the fibers could easily be glazed. That will cause them to chatter and squeal for sure. You could pull the whole pack and scuff everything with some 240 grit sand paper and try it then. Id also replace the springs if they're short. Without the proper preload the clutch will slip for sure.

I replaced the springs already, no difference. Here are some pics. If I measured warpage as I pictured below, it is at 0.006, service limit. If I pressed down with my fingers at 12 and 6 o'clock I could not get a feeler under there, but at like 8 and 10 o'clock I could. Doesn't surprise me that it's worn, I hammer this thing pretty good; I did at least 25 practice race starts in a row at the end of the day yesterday before I called it a day. I just surprised at how loud this noise is, I would have guessed it was a bearing of some sort.

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

So a new OEM clutch and the two bearings I mentioned should fix this? If not I think splitting cases is the next step.

So a new OEM clutch and the two bearings I mentioned should fix this? If not I think splitting cases is the next step.

I dont think you need the bearings, just the clutch pack. The parts in the pics are toast. The basket and the hub look fine.