What are simple mods to do to an XR100?

I have a 98 xr100 I bought for my gf so that she can ride w/ me sometimes. I've done alot of stuff to the bike to tune it up, clean it up and get it good riding shape. I have a crf250x that I race and w/ these bikes there are things called "free mods". Removing the baffle, cutting the airbox, removing the air filter screen and pulling a pink wire. Just curios if there are some free, simple or cheap basic mods that everyone's doing to their xr's to get a little more out of them. Once I put the new carb on and got the fuel screw dialed in, the bike runs awesome. No more bog, staling, none idling, stuff like that.. The bike seems restricted alot. I've got a new filter in there. Can you open it up, maybe remove the screens, drill holes, etc? Any ideals!?

So far I've replaced the carb, throttle cable, plug, oil, air filter, handle bars, grips, tires and added a fuel line filter!! So yea, just the basic's to get the bike back to factory riding and performance condition. :bonk:

no need for an inline filter as it already has a great filter built into the petcock, look inside the tank to see it.

bore kit with good cam and a pipe works real well. not much infree mods besides removing the stock exhaust baffle and rejetting the carb.

They come jetted lean stock so a rejet is the best move once you have everything cleaned up.

How do you remove the baffle? I've never really looked at it real close but I thought it was just a big metal can.. Whats the basic jetting everyones going with?

i cut basically the whole top of the airbox out and put some aluminum screen over the openings, pulled the screen off the airfilter cage, still working on jetting tho. right now i have my needle at the highest point and a 100 main and it is running lean on top, so it is definately getting alot of air now.

i also removed the little canister thing off the crankcase vent, and ran a hose up under the gas tank with a nitro r/c car air filter on the end(you can get them online or at hobby shops. they are basically tiny foam filters and work great on the crankcase vent). i also had to plug up the hole in the airbox boot. gas kept getting in the oil through the crank vent. problem solved now.

i have been wondering about the baffle. it seems 90% of the threads i saw about the baffle were simply about removing the spark arrestor(the spark arrestor bolts on the end of the pipe, and is NOT THE BAFFLE) i was getting frustrated trying to find info on the baffle and getting spark arrestor threads. since you have an older bike it might not have the removable spark arrestor, in which case you need to cut the pipe apart to mod it.

Edited by MCRIPPPer

Ouch, I dunno about cutting the pipe!! I'll just buy one. But the airbox, I can do that, oh yea and remove the screens. I had to do all that w/ my bike and then jet it. thats all I really wanted to do is give it some more air and jet it along w/ that because just those simple, cheap mods mad the biggest difference on my bike. Its a completely new bike now, power, acceleration, etc. thanks for the info guys. Is there anything else?

make sure to lube the suspension bushings every now and then. i greased mine up and it works alot better now. lubing the cables, cleaning the brake pads and drums all make a big difference is braking. i could not get my 100 to stop with the frunt brake, then i washed the shoes in soap and water and it works great. i find soap and water works as well if not better then most of these nasty solvents you can buy in the spray cans. just make sure to ride the bike after and dry all the parts real good.

OK I will. Is there anyway to adjust the compression or rebound on these bikes?? Or is it all about what spring rate and oil height you put in? I couldn't find anything obvious to adjust the suspension with... :bonk:

you cant really do much to the rear exept get a stiffer spring. the forks you can rebuild and put springs and different oil. there might be some aftermarket rear shocks with tuning options.

heres some pix of the airbox and breather mods i have done.

hers the tiny air filter. it stays really clean in this location under the tank.

DSC09208.jpg

remember to plug the hole in the air boot!

DSC09212.jpg

hers the "hidden" airbox mod

DSC09213.jpg

DSC09214.jpg

and the cut out roof

DSC09210.jpg