Sign in to follow this  

XR400 losing oil

Hi guys

New to this forum, lots of good info here.

I have a early 2000's XR400 with mikuni pumper carb, white brothers high rev kit, k&n filter, etc. I ride this mainly around our farm in the summer time and it sits in our shed all winter. I have had it parked for 2-3 months without toughing it and all it fine, I go out to the shop the other day and all the oil is on the floor. This is the second time it has happened. One other time this summer it was sitting there and then all the sudden it dumps all the oil. I haven's seen it lose the oil but it seems to dump it all pretty fast, not drip. I think it is comming out of the breather up front as there isn't any sign it is comming from any where else. Do you guys have any ideas? It doesn't seem to burn any oil.

Thanks

I can't think of a breather tube "up front". There's the head breather line, but that's closed at each end. Can you be more specific?

The crankcase breather line connects to a nipple on top of the tranny case to the rear of the cylinder. Depending on whether of not yours is a Calif. model, if still stock, you'll either have a separator cannistor or just a line T'ed off with a line ran up high and one run low under the frame.

The only thing I can think of to cause a sudden dumping of oil like that is an extreme atmospheric pressure change happening over a short time. Of which Colorado sees a lot of, especially if you live near the front range.

If oil has been exiting at any place other than the main crankcase vent line, I'd be checking the vent line for obstruction at both hi and low ends from the T.

Just a stab in the dark here, but is it resting on the kickstand?

Maybe you have a leaky countershaft seal.

Does the oil have a gasoline odor?

Edited by creeky

Both good calls.

I think Creeky may be leaning toward wondering if you leave your petcock open when storing the bike away.

I have a early 2000's XR400 with mikuni pumper carb, white brothers high rev kit, k&n filter, etc. I ride this mainly around our farm in the summer time and it sits in our shed all winter. I have had it parked for 2-3 months without toughing it and all it fine, I go out to the shop the other day and all the oil is on the floor. This is the second time it has happened. One other time this summer it was sitting there and then all the sudden it dumps all the oil. I haven's seen it lose the oil but it seems to dump it all pretty fast, not drip. I think it is comming out of the breather up front as there isn't any sign it is comming from any where else. Do you guys have any ideas? It doesn't seem to burn any oil.

That happened to my XR4 once. I thought it was engine oil, but it turns out the shock seal spontaneously exploded, and it was shock fluid all over the floor.

JayC

Thanks I will check out the lines and see if I find anything. Its not the countershaft seal, as that was my first thought. It not my shock fluid either. Lot of good places for me to start.

Thanks again