Sign in to follow this  

What Might It Be?..

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2859814655.html Stuck in gear. I know it's hard to diagnose with nothing more than a CL add, but is there anything in the way of a "usually it's" thing for a YZ250 being hung in one gear. Bent shift fork, seized bearing, broken something else? I've got no problems with splitting the cases and fixing it, just trying to get a general idea of what the problem might be before I roll the dice on buying it.

Id be leery. if one transmission part failed, then I bet there are a couple other parts that will fail soon too. unless that one was just defective

I wonder if it even starts.

Probably a broken gear in the tranny. Not unheard of in late model YZ250s.

At a minimum, you will be splitting the cases to find out the real problem.

If it's in decent shape, and has a title, it's worth the asking price, even if only to part out.

I would f'n jump on it. It could be a broken water pump gear the a piece got under the shifter mechanism. You will likely be spliting the cases but for that price, I wold get it in a heartbeat. Offer 500 but bring the 750 with you in case

I'll probably give him a call tomorrow. Only 15 miles from where I live so it won't be much to go and have a look. See how much he'll come down on it. Yeah, would figure on having to take it completely apart, but not too worried about that part. Been messing around with a guy on an '03 for a month now and he can't make up his mind whether to sell it or not, starting to get tired of waiting and fixing to move on.

I'll go by and see if it'll start in gear, or if the problem runs into the motor too. Go from there.

Thanks for the replies so far, and if anyone else has anything to add, feel free to do so. :bonk:

You could sell the forks easily $300. SSS would be a nice addition to my 2001 yz250 project

A good set of 05 forks might bring $300, but they are not SSS forks. Those came out in 06.

dirtjumpordie, check the classifieds for my complete 06 front end for sale.