Sign in to follow this  

Milky looking spooge

Ok my power valve breather hose drips spooge. I know its normal but it looks milky. I did a leak down test and the engine held 14 PSI for 20 minutes and did not drop at all. I did a coolant pressure test and it also did not drop. So why is it this color? IS it the kind of premix I use? Also when I do the leak down test do I plug the power valve vent tube? If I do not plug it the air just comes out of it. Here is a picture of the spooge. I put it on the base gasket just to make it easier to see.

12012-02-19_16-51-04_736.jpg

My bike does the same thing. Never worried about it. Here's an explanation I'm pulling out of my :bonk: as I type.

Exhaust contains water. When exhaust stays in a warmed up exhaust system, everything is above 212F and it stays vapor until it's out the end of the pipe. When exhaust goes into the power valve chamber, it drops to the temperature of the outer barrel, which should be well below 212 F thanks to the coolant. It then condenses and mixes with a little oil, turning into the "mousse" you see dripping out the vent tube.

If you had a 4T and your engine oil looked like that, it would be expensive.

• Like 1

My bike does the same thing. Never worried about it. Here's an explanation I'm pulling out of my :bonk: as I type.

Exhaust contains water. When exhaust stays in a warmed up exhaust system, everything is above 212F and it stays vapor until it's out the end of the pipe. When exhaust goes into the power valve chamber, it drops to the temperature of the outer barrel, which should be well below 212 F thanks to the coolant. It then condenses and mixes with a little oil, turning into the "mousse" you see dripping out the vent tube.

:lol: Thanks for the highly educated explanation sir :lol:

That makes alot of sence when its explained but i could of sworn it used to be black.

One thing I'll note on your leak down tester, are you removing your reeds? When you pressurizing your engine your reeds effectively become a one way valve giving you a false reading on your pressure gage. This is assuming you use this style of leak down tester.

i used the info from this thread. http://www.thumperta...ing-a-2-stroke/

Was I supposed to block off the power valve breather?

That is a good thread. And yes, block off the powervalve breather. The path through the powervalve isn't air tight or the valve's wouldn't be able to move.

That is a good thread. And yes, block off the powervalve breather. The path through the powervalve isn't air tight or the valve's wouldn't be able to move.

soby doind it this way with the reeds in will it give me a false reading on the gauge?

soby doind it this way with the reeds in will it give me a false reading on the gauge?

Yes, Reeds can act as a one way valve. Do your test one time with the reeds in and get a pressure loss rate (psi/min). Then remove your reeds from the reed block and re-install the reed-block (needed to get proper air seal). Then do the test over.

I bet you'll notice a large difference between the two times.

Yes, Reeds can act as a one way valve. Do your test one time with the reeds in and get a pressure loss rate (psi/min). Then remove your reeds from the reed block and re-install the reed-block (needed to get proper air seal). Then do the test over.

I bet you'll notice a large difference between the two times.

I will try that when i get the new top end installed because its apart now and ill let you know the readings