Highland park 2/24-2/26

4 of us from hoosier land will be divulging in highlands fine trails and track on the above dates. Be great to see more TT'ers there. Does anyone have any pertinent info, advice or useful info in regards to this trip? It'd be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you there

Great place!

The people that run the place are great.

I stayed in one of the cabins. Clean and comfy with just the basics. It was nice not to have a TV for 5 days.

The trails are a nice mix of everything from novice to pro.

Great place. We stayed in Cedartown about 12miles away. Hotels and restaurants. Trails are generally short so no worries about fuel range. KTM dealer on site so any part you need is there. The five diamond trails have so challenging climbs and off cambers but nothing dangerous.

PS. If you go to the Mexican restaurant, it's probably best to deny knowing any of us.

Great place. We stayed in Cedartown about 12miles away. Hotels and restaurants. Trails are generally short so no worries about fuel range. KTM dealer on site so any part you need is there. The five diamond trails have so challenging climbs and off cambers but nothing dangerous.

PS. If you go to the Mexican restaurant, it's probably best to deny knowing any of us.

For you maybe!!! They were dangerous for me?

Mexican place is a lotta fun!! Speaking of the mexican place, me and Steve saw Shane at the enduro yesterday....brought back some good Highland Park memories!! :bonk:

Hey guys, I'm one of the group from Indiana that's coming down to HP this weekend and I have a question for those of you that have ridden there this time of the year. I was wondering what the general terrain is like?...and what to expect, this time a year when there's been a lot of rain? It's hard to get a good idea of the terrain from videos. Most of what I watched seemed like dry, hard pack clay with some rocks.I have two different wheel sets that I'll be bringing, one with S12-XC(Fr/Rr) on them and the other has MH-3 on them. I'm trying to decide which set to have on the bike so that I don't have to waste what little riding time we'll have there swapping wheel sets. Thanks.

IR,

leave the S-12's at home unless you're going to ride some MX track somewhere else where there is dirt, HP is all rocks and hardpack..

Don :bonk:

btw, my fav trail is #4, right up front.

Edited by DonO

IR,

leave the S-12's at home unless you're going to ride some MX track somewhere else where there is dirt, HP is all rocks and hardpack..

btw, my fav trail is #4, right up front.

Thanks for the info Don. I kind of that was the case.

The forecast shows rain for the end of the week. How well do the trails handle a couple day of rain?

IR,

YOU really didn't ask that question did you?

Let's see, water, rocks and realitively cool temps = slimey

I don't know if all the leaves are still on the ground/trails either so you can add that in if they are.

Don't always believe what the weather people say (especially in the South) as most of the time they are wrong, sometimes really wrong!!!!

I would start off riding the 2 diamond trails and work your way up to the 4 diamonds if it has rained any. I wouldn't attempt a 5 diamond unless you are "really" good and wouldn't mind the possibility of having to walk you ass out of the mountain back to the shop to get help.

Just my $.02

Edited by DonO

Highland Park is a neat place. The people there are great and even cooked us lunch while we were there. There's a lot of one way single track and all of the trails are numbered and mapped out so it's easy to figure your way around. There's a loop that goes around the entire property. It's been about 4 years since I was there, so I'm sure there's some new stuff.

I took a S-12 rear and D-756 front and was happy with my selection. It actually snowed while we were there! There's a lot of off cambered trails and elevation changes. I liked having a meaty S-12 to claw my way to the top of all of the hills. It gets slippery when it rains. Here's some pics:

100_2023.jpg

100_1941.jpg

100_1950.jpg

100_1981.jpg

100_1982.jpg

100_1984.jpg

100_1985.jpg

100_2010.jpg

Great pics!

PS. I've ridden there with knobbies and trials tires and they both worked great. The last time we were there I got a flat because I ripped the valve steam out of heavy duty tube. Traction isn't a problem there IMHO.

Edited by MrSmooth