Pressing out linkage bearings

I am in the middle of going through a 2004 CR250 restoration and am in need of some guidance.

I pressed out the bearings from the swing arm with no problems and now I am trying to get the bearings out of the shock link and shock arm. I was able to press out the thin one on the top but the rest seem to be stuck..I was using a vice with a socket to push them out and they don't seem to be moving.

Are they supposed to be pulled out??

I took it to the local suspension guy and he knocked them out for $20.

The link arm bearings were removed by heating them up with a torch then knocking them out with a hammer and a punch.

The dog bone pieces needed to be pressed out.

Its amazing how easy any job is with the right tools - aka a press!!

Edited by nj_wrx_rider

every linkage bearing i've had. the race, needle bearing cage, cut a line across it. voila

i actually had to do this with my linkage as the 1 race broke when i was slide hammering it out. first time ive had that happen, but not that surprised since the races are so thin on the linkage bearings. i think george was talking about how that one guy used some threaded rod and washers to pull bearings. that will work for installing and removing *some* of the linkage bearings but i dont see how youd make a bearing puller out of those items that would be able to seat against the lip thats inside one of the linkage pieces.

your technique does work, and is needed at times :bonk:

Isn't the only linkage bearing that seats against a solid lip in the 'dog bone' arm? All the other bearings can be pressed correct?

idk about all bikes but i just did my husky's linkage bearings on monday, so it's fresh in my mind, and the 3 hole piece that connects the shock to the dogbone and the dogbone itself all had ledges on the inside that would've prevented you from pressing the bearings through. the shock mounts would've been the only ones that would be an option for.