Sign in to follow this  

Clutch and Stator cover gaskets

I just finished rebuilding my 05 and put new cover gaskets on because the oem ones were leaking previously. The new gaskets i got were from moose and there made from paper. So I ran it for the first time today only to see oil running out of the stator cover gasket and oil seeping from the clutch cover gasket. Has anyone else had this problem? My old oem gaskets leaked, but nothing like this.

MAybe you have some warpage on your covers. If not, the moose gaskets are perhaps not very high quality. I bet you could get it to seal with some liquid gasket coated on both sides of your paper moose gaskets, but I'd get the OEM ones and call it good. If you have warpage you may need to get your cases and/or covers surfaced to be flat again.

Did you tighten the cover bolts in a criss cross pattern? If you tighten the first bolt down to spec and then went around bolt by bolt, side by side, then that would tweak the cover and it would not seal correctly. The fix, loosen all the bolts off and start over and do the criss cross pattern. You can lay the bike on its side and it won't loose any oil. Turn the gas off first.

Yeah I always do crisscross during any tightening sequence. Thinkin about putting some spray tack on or a film of rtv. Probably should just get oem and be done with it.

So I got in contact with moose and there sending me a couple sets and the one side has been redesigned. I'll let you guys know how they work when i get them and get them installed.

I keep a piece of glass in the garage with a sheet of wet sandpaper (something on the order of 400 grit) and use it to polish and flatten covers and the like when they are off. Squirt your favorite lube like WD40 or silicone on it and give it some slow circles and you've got a perfectly flat sealing surface.

So Moose sent me 4 sets of clutch and stator gaskets for free. The stator has been redesigned and is identical to the oem gasket. So I installed these the other day and the leak has stopped. Moose came through and made good on this one.