Sign in to follow this  

IMS or Clarke Gas Tank

Looking for a little longer range on my XR250, so is there a preference between the IMS or Clarke tanks? I noticed that the IMS is slightly larger. Anyone got a picture of either tank on a XR250? Cheers

Looking for a little longer range on my XR250, so is there a preference between the IMS or Clarke tanks? I noticed that the IMS is slightly larger. Anyone got a picture of either tank on a XR250? Cheers

I got the clarke 3.8 gallon.

For 200$ You can't beat it, Natural color = you can see gas level easily, and its a great shape for riding imo

+1 for the Clarke. I've delt with IMS tanks on 2 different bikes and both had mounting issues.

The 3 Clarke tanks I've dealt with mounted fine.

I will say this though, stick with the Clarke gas cap too.

I tried the stock Honda cap and it was tough to screw on.

I had an IMS 4 gal tank on my XR435 (same tank as XR250) and switched to the Clark 3.8 on the recemendition of this forum when the old tank was holed by a stick.

The Clark was cheaper but I don't like the fit at all. The front part of the seat has a big gap where it mounts to the tank. I have an Acerbis tank on my stock XR400 and an IMS on my XR250. I think that both are a better fit than the Clark and they both hold more fuel.

When I need another tank I ill spend the extra dollars and get the Acerbis tank.

I have had the Clark for while and feel it is the best tank for me. I got their new ventless cap back in Aug/Sept, so nice not having a hose to deal with.

Put my new Clarke ventless cap, worth $100? Looks good no hose to deal with no rubber inside to rot.

IMG_2402.jpg

Have a IMS on my xr400 the fit is good actually better seat to tank fitment than original tank. Easy on/off, brackets and fuel-cock mount easily. The cap has only lasted two years and the insides disentegrated.

Gotta watch the cap-guts! However a good time to get rid of all that old-smelly-discolored-gas when you have to remove the cap pieces. When was the last time you dumped your tank?

They both work fine. If you are paying anywhere near $200 for one, you're not shopping around enough. The IMS is probably 5% better made, and the price reflects that.

Interesting that there are so many different responses. I don't think that you could really go wrong with any tank. It's personal preference and dollars you are willing to spend. Other than my tank getting a stick poked through it I have never heard of anyones tank totally failing.

At the time it the stick went through the tank I stopped when I smeled gas. The gas was gushing from the hole with the stick still in it. I had to turn the bike upside down to save the gas because I was 75 miles from the truck. I had some alcohol wipes, sand paper and 5 minute epoxy. this was enough to get me back to the truck. I was lucky because usually nothing will stick to tank plastic for long.

Interesting that there are so many different responses. I don't think that you could really go wrong with any tank. It's personal preference and dollars you are willing to spend. Other than my tank getting a stick poked through it I have never heard of anyones tank totally failing.

At the time it the stick went through the tank I stopped when I smeled gas. The gas was gushing from the hole with the stick still in it. I had to turn the bike upside down to save the gas because I was 75 miles from the truck. I had some alcohol wipes, sand paper and 5 minute epoxy. this was enough to get me back to the truck. I was lucky because usually nothing will stick to tank plastic for long.

That's what my trail kit is missing! Alcohol wipes and sand paper