Sign in to follow this  

complete oil evacuation..syn..oil coolers?

ok so to start i have a 2009 kx250f

been running castrol 10-40 4t(switching to rotella t6 soon)

first off i warm up my bike and then dump oil i move the kick starter i lean it side to side the most i ever get out is 650cc of 1000cc so there's 350cc of used oil in there still i understand 100 or 150 but 350 is not cool. i know this thing has small oil passages but jeez come on Kawasaki i hate changing my oil and knowing 1/3 is old and contaminating my new oil i dump my oil every ride and it still gets way used... my engine is operating perfectly fine just want to get more oil out during changes and possibly help oil life with doing a custom oil cooler. this is just getting ridiculous.

Please help.

I checked my scavenge pump screen on my '11 after draining the oil recently, and that is definitely a good access point to get a lot more oil out. Take off the left side Stator/Rotor cover and expect to have some oil drain out just by doing that. Have a pan and some towels handy to catch the oil or it will be on the floor... Then, if you remove the scavenge pump screen, which is just a wire mesh strainer that slides in place below the flywheel/rotor, you can see the 2 oil rooms. The one on top is the crank room, and the one on the bottom is the gear room. I took a large syringe with some carb tubing on the end and fished it back in there where I could see the oil puddled, and I sucked out as much as I could. I got quite a bit more out. I imagine tipping the bike to the side with the left cover removed would yield even more. I am speaking about the '11, which has a little bit different design to the generator cover and stuff, but I believe any KX250F is going to have similar access and a screen at this location. Make sure to pay attention to the way the screen is oriented, because it is a wedge shape and thinner at the front than the rear. Clean it while you are at it. You can use this screen to find out if anything crappy is going on with your engine because stuff will appear on the screen if things are in bad shape. In bad cases, this screen can become clogged and starve the engine of oil so it is good to clean and inspect it every so often. Hope this helps.

3a00a280.jpg

ya ive been doing that aswell itrs just a pita! i wish kawi coulda thought this through.