Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seals Leaking, Scratched Fork Tube

EDIT: Oops, had a complete brain fart. I went out to take a picture for this thread, and noticed my holeshot device got crooked again. I had completely forgotten about this but I think that's what is causing them to leak. For whatever reason my holeshot device always gets pulled crooked. I'm assuming that's what is causing the leaking. I guess I need to stop using it or buy one that mounts up higher.

Now that I think about it the past 3 seal changes have been since I start religiously practicing starts (approx last 40 hours.)

Sorry for the pointless post guys : /

My bike has always gone through lots and lots of fork seals. I would say about 4 sets of seals within 130 hours. I had always used the same seals (Moose) but this last go round I decided to try Tusk. Initially I thought they were the answer. In the past Moose seals would right away leave "oil/grease rings" on the fork tubes. But these Tusk seals left no evidence what so ever that the forks had been compressed. Well I have about 3 or 4 rides on them now and the right fork leg is pouring oil, once again.

Well this past fork seal install (with the Tusk's) I looked over the fork tubes very well and noticed on the right leg (the one that always leaks first) there was a very small dimple/scratch on the tube. It's almost as if someone sand blasted it with 2 or 3 grains of sand if that makes sense; it's very small dimples very close together. Well I went ahead and installed the seals thinking/hoping that something so minute would not cut the seal and cause it to leak. But now, I'm wondering if this is my problem. Is there any way to sand or polish this out? Or will I have to get some fork tubes off eBay?

Thanks!

(The spot is the little shiny spec, but it looks completely different than what I described, oops.)

detbh0.jpg

Edit: Also a little "side question:" If having one fork leg low on oil, and or the clickers way off from one another throws the forks out of balance and causes "loss of stability," then how the heck do the Kawasaki SFF's work and keep the front end stable?

Edited by Tha Breeze

First off, I would stick to only OEM or SKF seals, with OEM bushings. Many of the aftermarket seals are crap, as they have a lot of stiction or don't have the longevity of OEM seals. I currently have about 50-60 hours on my OEM seals with no hint of leaking.

As for the scratch, you may need to consider getting a new fork leg or having it re-chromed. Its hard to tell by the picture though. Before doing that, take some 600 grit paper and try and buff out the scratch. Work your way up to a 1200 grit paper.

I am currently having the same problem. Just did seals, and getting some leaking. I was first made aware it was leaking when we strapped it down on the trailer one of the forks was making a light hissing noise and visibly dripping a little oil?? I am beginning to think there is a scratch in one of the stansions although I've looked and couldn't find anything visibly. Just wondering how minute the scratch can be???

To the OP, I would definitely just opt for some new fork tubes bud!!

My 98 is supposedly extra harsh so I'm probably just going to upgrade to 03+ forks if I can.

If you cant feel/see a scratch its not that, are the bushes new? Loose bushes will cause leaking seals

Oh ok, thanks. I'll assume you mean the metal bushings inside? The bushings are the only thing we did not replace, but they didn't look bad at all either....Hmmm :bonk: