Desmogged 500exc

SO, for information sake and to power the search engines with some key words that i couldn't seem to trigger during my research...I'm posting my desmog process on my new 500exc. Being a new bike...i wanted to make sure that all of my "doings" were going to keep the short excuse for a warranty in tact. I have part numbers for the plugs, washers etc as well as what all came off of the bike. I know it's a simple process for some, not so for others and would like to give credit to the advrider.com writeup for some great info.

Long story short...i plugged the hole left from the smog pump thingy on the right side of the cylinder, the Secondary Air System (SAS), the overflow canister, and all the hoses/wires that go with. The electrical plug that was involved I simply taped up with grease in it and strapped it to the inside of the frame rail.

After i took all of it off, it would not idle....i turned up the idle adjuster (to the left) or counter clockwise in order to increase the idle speed.

Result!!!!!! NO popping on decal, no stalling after hard accelerating, etc. Sometimes after much creeping and low rpm riding it will load up and flame out. I plan to try a different map after i install my exhaust. I think a new map will be able to add some rev to the top end. Right now it seems kind've flat once you pull through the sweet bottom and mid ranges. The bottom end power of this bike coupled with the silky smooth clutch action makes for the easiest and best suited off road bike i've ever been on. It does what i need it to do!

Josh

Have your dealer install the XC-W map on it, works very well with the stock setup and desmogged bike. Mine runs great and I have yet to encounter any flame outs while riding, other people will probably suggest a JD tuner but for now I am holding off on any additional mods - it runs that good.

Are you able to remap the stock ecu on the exc? I had a dealer tell me that it was "locked" and that you had to buy a blank ecu then put the xc-w mapping on it.

Are you able to remap the stock ecu on the exc? I had a dealer tell me that it was "locked" and that you had to buy a blank ecu then put the xc-w mapping on it.

Get a new dealer or stop talking to the sales guy.

Get a new dealer or stop talking to the sales guy.

Actually this is one of the better dealers around, he's usually on top of things like this. He told me about the "locked" ecu's a few months ago when the xc-w's first came out but no exc yet. I think he was relaying what the factory told him at the time which apparently was bogus.

Actually this is one of the better dealers around, he's usually on top of things like this. He told me about the "locked" ecu's a few months ago when the xc-w's first came out but no exc yet. I think he was relaying what the factory told him at the time which apparently was bogus.

If he is an authorized KTM dealer he should have a tool that he can use to unlock the ECU. Odd he wouldn't know about that.

My dealer here in okc says the same thing about the locked ecu. They say ktm will not issue an authorization code to map an EXC to an XCW due to emissions regulations. What dealer will work with this? I woul send my ecu somewhere if they could make it happen.

Just try some other local dealers, mine was prepped with the XC-W map and the emissions stuff removed right from the dealership. They know how to setup KTM's and understand the offroad market around here, salesman asked when I made the decision to purchase one if I wanted it setup that way. Hopefully someone more local to you will post up to help out, otherwise head over to KTMTALK - there are way more KTM owners on that forum who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Edited by Mikek671

Just try some other local dealers, mine was prepped with the XC-W map and the emissions stuff removed right from the dealership. They know how to setup KTM's and understand the offroad market around here, salesman asked when I made the decision to purchase one if I wanted it setup that way. Hopefully someone more local to you will post up to help out, otherwise head over to KTMTALK - there are way more KTM owners on that forum who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Definitely not the case here. The dealership either does not know or is pleading the 5th concerning these issues and others. Is there a dealership that i can mail my ecu to, have it unlocked and mapped for XCW and mailed (fedex/ups) back to me? if so...please stand up, please stand up!

Hi!

In Canada the EXC 350-500 is locked ECU !!!!!

If you have a dealer who was able to reprogram the EXC ECU.

Let me know !!!!

Some dealers may be willing to do it but I think there is a bigger issue here. The ECU's are locked to maintain government regulations, or at least this is what I have read. Modifying it can do two things, first a dealer might risk government intervention and we know that is probably not good. Second it may be possible they lose their right to sell KTM's if KTM themselves have let them know they are not supposed to perform the "flash" .

I don't know the answer but I do know the ECU was locked to meet US government regulations.

I'm also not saying I wouldn't do it, but just because a dealer won't do it doesn't make them a bad dealer.

I thought that the XCW and exc ECU's could not be unlocked without a code from KTM or buy a new empty ECU and program it?

Hi!

In Canada the EXC 350-500 is locked ECU !!!!!

If you have a dealer who was able to reprogram the EXC ECU.

Let me know !!!!

I'm a tech at a KTM shop in BC, and I've never heard of a "locked ECU" so don't know what theses other guys are talking about?? You can flash any ECU as far as I know, and there is an Aftermarket map for the 500 exc, which is the same as the stock and aftermarket maps for the xcw, and that's right of the KTMdealer website. I myself just bought the new 500, but it is still in the crate waiting to be supermoto'd!! :banghead: I can keep you guys posted if I hear anything, the other tech is going down to Cali in a few weeks for KTM training, so he will get all the info on the new bikes. We don't have any regs against removing the smog stuff here, but in other places where they do I could see the dealer getting in sh*t. One thing tho that if you re-map to the aftermarket or xcw map (same thing) make sure that the bike is desmogged and check to make sure there isn't a restrictor in the exhaust! There was in the 530's, de-restricted a lot of those, just don't know if there is one in the new 500. Haven't had a chance to play around with one yet :thumbsup: I have heard of cases where guys re-mapped/jetted 530's and 690's with stock exhaust's and it caused running issues and fires...so just make sure you and/or your dealer know what they're doing!

Any updates on this thread? I have a 2013 and de smogged it and now reading about re-mapping? To me, the bottom end is not as smooth as I would have expected.  It does seem that the pipe could be restricting it, but it also seems a bit rich on the bottom end....with pleny of mid range and top end.  No more decel popping.  I think there's more to this bottom end power than I am getting just after removing all the smog stuff.  What do you guys think? I haven't spoke to my dealer yet about changing the mapping, but wonder if the XC-W map would change the motor performance...in what way? 

Thanks!

Have your dealer load the EU map. Pull the metal screen out of the end of the pipe. Go ride. :ride:

Anyone use Tune ECU? Very popular to use on the 990s. Just wondering if it works with the (true) dirt bikes.

On My '13 500 I did the smog, EU ECU and black FMF Powerparts Pipe.  It felt like a new bike but was too loud with the supplied racing insert so I went with the FMF quiet insert and with no discernible loss of power,  the sound is just right..  Really happy. 

Where did you get the EU map installed? I cant get a dealer out here where i live in socal to touch it

Thanks guys.....

I haven't done anything yet to the mapping since de-smogging, and I am still pretty happy, although I think there's more to this motor than it's giving me.  I was thinking about the JD tuner as well......that sounds pretty cool as JR says.......I was thinking of going with the power bomb pipe mod....but maybe not necessary?  I am actually more concerned about the suspension as I have bottomed out a few times now on the trails just on moderate jumps.  It's sooooo smooth through the whoops so hate to lose that by going stiffer for the bottoming issues.

One question I had.....is that I heard you can re-set the mapping simply by unhooking the battery for 15-20 minutes and then restarting the bike, and the ECU will automatically reset itself to the new desmog setup......which I hear is a familiar trait of fuel ignitions. Anyone have any idea of this? I guess I could try it.

OK OK OK... I was a former KTM dealer salesman myself so just keep in mind that if your state has emissions standards then it could be illegal for them to remap your ignition, such is the case in CA, OR and WA I believe out here in the west. So I'd have customers bad mouthing me about it and I was surprised they expected us to break the law for them after we explained the costs and benefits of the XCW and EXC before their purchase.

Having said all that, Blais makes a desmog kit and I haven't heard they need remapping. Good luck!!!