Sign in to follow this  

2011 KX450F to 2012 frame?

So thinking about RV's switch to the 12 last year I was remembering some of Emig's commentary during the nationals. When he debuted the 2012 Jeff said something along the lines of the they just took the existing motor and suspension and put it on the new chassis. Anyone know if he meant the settings that had arrived at during testing or if the actually '11 cases bolt into the '12 frame?

Not that I would do it tomorrow, but the '12 frames are available on several OEM parts sites... Just a thought. If someone wanted to go all in you could probably sell your '11 frame for 500-700 if you waited for a buyer on Ebay, that model frame is rare, allthough I would imagine the demand is as well. So anyone know if it fits? Gas tank, radiators?

I listened to interviews with Weimer and Villo after Unadilla. To use the 2012 frame, their mechanics had to also use the 2012 plastics and airbox, and maybe a couple of other minor parts. Not sure about the swingarm. For sure they continued using their 2011 suspension, motors, triples, wheels and bars. They obviously did the switch over real fast, and it was an experiment. But both riders immediately found it better. Less harsh on bumps. If you want to hear it yourself then download the post race interviews and also the pulpmx show after Unadilla - the race where Villo ripped, and Weimer suddenly moved up about 10 places overall.

Apparently the 2011 and 12 share the same basic geometry. Just different flex and a little narrower around the tank.

Edited by numroe

Thanks for the reply, it's not something that I am planning on doing anytime soon, I'm knee deep in a CR125 project right now, but maybe in the future. I'm interested to know if anyone has done it. I definitely have zero issues with 2011 motor.