Sign in to follow this  

Found a GPS solution that seems to work well for me.

I am very new to using GPS. I bought a handheld Trex unit 5 or 6 years ago for hunting and after spending 5 minutes or so trying to figure it out it has sat in the box ever since. I sort of conceded I was just a paper map and compass guy! Well after I bought a D/S I started to think it might be a good idea to try to figure out the technology that is avaible to us. In the area I live there are countless miles of gravel roads in the hills. And it seems in much of the time they are branching off around every corner. Over the years I have had a heck of a time trying to get to a place I was looking for in the truck with the map in the hills. There are always roads that are not on the map and after awhile of driving around taking the turns I thought I should have I didn't find what I was looking for and wasn't sure where I was?

I while back I got a bracket to hold my iphone on the handle bar. I did this because I found myself getting into the habit of leaving the office in the middle of the day to go for a ride. And due to the nature of my business I really need to be able see who is trying to get ahold of me. So I began to look into options that might work on my phone and aviod having to add another devise to my bars. What I wanted to be able to do was map out a route in the gravel road systems before I left home. And also to be able to have it track me and be able to backtrack when i found myself in a place that the road system got very complex. I found a bunch of GPS apps but most of them only really recognized real paved roads. There were plent of apps that would show me where I had been and help me backtrack, but most of them required cell service and would not work on GPS alone. This doesn't work for be as I lose cell service in many areas.

And as I was checking this out the most important thing to me was finding I solution I could figure out. I am not techy enoungh nor do I have the patience to figure out something to complicated.

I was a few minutes away from dropping 60 bucks to see if the Garmin app would do what I was looking for and I ran across an app called Trimble Outdoors. It is free! And it did everthing I wanted as was pretty easy to figure out. You can download the app to your iphone or android. Then to really get it all you can sign up on your computer for a free acount with them. On the computer you can map out a route in advance even if it doesn't recognize a road. I think its using google earth? But if you can see it you can map it out in advance. And if you just find yourself out and about you can hit the track option and it will track exactly where you have gone so you can go back the same way. The best part for me is if I am headed to an area that I wan't have cel service I can cache the area on the phone before I leave and it will work on GPS alone.

I promise I am have nothing to do with this company. I just found it to be the best solution for me so far and wanted to pass it along. If somebody else has found a better option please post it on this thread.

I am very new to using GPS. I bought a handheld Trex unit 5 or 6 years ago for hunting and after spending 5 minutes or so trying to figure it out it has sat in the box ever since. I sort of conceded I was just a paper map and compass guy! Well after I bought a D/S I started to think it might be a good idea to try to figure out the technology that is avaible to us. In the area I live there are countless miles of gravel roads in the hills. And it seems in much of the time they are branching off around every corner. Over the years I have had a heck of a time trying to get to a place I was looking for in the truck with the map in the hills. There are always roads that are not on the map and after awhile of driving around taking the turns I thought I should have I didn't find what I was looking for and wasn't sure where I was?

I while back I got a bracket to hold my iphone on the handle bar. I did this because I found myself getting into the habit of leaving the office in the middle of the day to go for a ride. And due to the nature of my business I really need to be able see who is trying to get ahold of me. So I began to look into options that might work on my phone and aviod having to add another devise to my bars. What I wanted to be able to do was map out a route in the gravel road systems before I left home. And also to be able to have it track me and be able to backtrack when i found myself in a place that the road system got very complex. I found a bunch of GPS apps but most of them only really recognized real paved roads. There were plent of apps that would show me where I had been and help me backtrack, but most of them required cell service and would not work on GPS alone. This doesn't work for be as I lose cell service in many areas.

And as I was checking this out the most important thing to me was finding I solution I could figure out. I am not techy enoungh nor do I have the patience to figure out something to complicated.

I was a few minutes away from dropping 60 bucks to see if the Garmin app would do what I was looking for and I ran across an app called Trimble Outdoors. It is free! And it did everthing I wanted as was pretty easy to figure out. You can download the app to your iphone or android. Then to really get it all you can sign up on your computer for a free acount with them. On the computer you can map out a route in advance even if it doesn't recognize a road. I think its using google earth? But if you can see it you can map it out in advance. And if you just find yourself out and about you can hit the track option and it will track exactly where you have gone so you can go back the same way. The best part for me is if I am headed to an area that I wan't have cel service I can cache the area on the phone before I leave and it will work on GPS alone.

I promise I am have nothing to do with this company. I just found it to be the best solution for me so far and wanted to pass it along. If somebody else has found a better option please post it on this thread.

Cool post, thanks for the tip I'll try it out, Working on GPS alone is mandatory.