Sign in to follow this  

Prepping your bike for Selling

Wash it, degrease the engine, grease the bearings, lube the chain, clean and oil the filter. make sure the fluids look alright. That stuff goes a long way,

Yep. I went to buy a used bike last year and the air filter was caked with dust, the engine oil was black, the tires were flat, the battery was dead, and the chain was coated in a thick black mess of oil and dirt. I don't think that guy got his asking price !!!

I recently sold a dirt bike. The buyer was inexperienced and didn't know what to look for. But, my bike was spotless (but scratched). I sprayed it down with Simple Green and rinsed it and wiped it down. It had clean oil, a clean air filter, a clean lubed chain, and the tires were aired up. I also made sure the pilot jetting was spot-on and the battery was fully charged so it was easy to start (estart) and idled well. The plastics and seat were wiped down with Armorall. Bike sold quickly for full asking price.

Edited by Sofiedog

Fix all the little things nothing kills a sale like saying "oh it need a new lever its only 10 bucks" spend a little bit on money and get everything back to factory.

Grips, Graphics, oil, air fliter, coolant. levers, fresh rubber,clean everything lube the chain. buyers will pay more for a buy and ride bike so you get most of your money back.

Edited by ekulb14

Yep. I went to buy a used bike last year and the air filter was caked with dust, the engine oil was black, the tires were flat, the battery was dead, and the chain was coated in a thick black mess of oil and dirt. I don't think that guy got his asking price !!!

I recently sold a dirt bike. The buyer was inexperienced and didn't know what to look for. But, my bike was spotless (but scratched). I sprayed it down with Simple Green and rinsed it and wiped it down. It had clean oil, a clean air filter, a clean lubed chain, and the tires were aired up. I also made sure the pilot jetting was spot-on and the battery was fully charged so it was easy to start (estart) and idled well. The plastics and seat were wiped down with Armorall. Bike sold quickly for full asking price.

That there is just plain mean :bonk:

Fix all the little things nothing kills a sale like saying "oh it need a new lever its only 10 bucks" spend a little bit on money and get everything back to factory.

Grips, Graphics, oil, air fliter, coolant. levers, fresh rubber,clean everything lube the chain. buyers will pay more for a buy and ride bike so you get most of your money back.

I run when I hear the "only needs" deal, that almost always means that there is a significant issue at the other end of that $10 part...or lots of expensive parts that connect to the cheap one are broken.

my freind baught a "low hours and pristine conditionbike" he beleved them cause it had new plastics and graphics he gt riped off but if you want to do that to make it nicer just dont play it off as somthing its not

Correct. If I see a bike that has been obviously poorly maintained, I assume the worst. If I see a bike that is very clean and appears to be well maintained, then it doesn't really tell me that is is absolutely "low hours and pristine condition." If you're selling a bike, and it does have relatively low hours and runs great and starts and idles well and it looks very clean, then you will get your best price.

Only an experienced buyer can determine the tell-tale signs of the condition of a used bike. There's a lot to look for with the suspension, engine, frame, wheels, etc. In my case, the buyer was inexperienced and trusted me and, in this case at least, wasn't burned. I take a lot of pride in the condition of my bikes and would also feel bad about ripping someone off. But, buyer beware. Take someone experienced with you to look at a used bike.

It would take a long post to list all the tell-tale signs of wear. Probably has been done on this forum numerous times.

Don't armor all the seat! I think the kid I got my yz actually used tire shine on the seat. God damn did it take forever to get any sort of grip back in that seat.

I've used ArmorAll on all my motorcycle seats without any issues. There's nothing special about my KLIM riding gear and I've never noticed any sliding or grip issues. Maybe I'm not fast enough to tell the difference.

Seat covers are vinyl. Sun and cleaning chemicals break down the vinyl. In my experience, protectorant keeps the vinyl pliable and looking good.

My stock dirt bike seat covers are all textured and I don't have slipping issues with them. The smooth vinyl on my cruiser seat feels a little slick with ArmorAll, but doesn't really cause any riding issues.

I've used ArmorAll on all my motorcycle seats without any issues. There's nothing special about my KLIM riding gear and I've never noticed any sliding or grip issues. Maybe I'm not fast enough to tell the difference.

Seat covers are vinyl. Sun and cleaning chemicals break down the vinyl. In my experience, protectorant keeps the vinyl pliable and looking good.

My stock dirt bike seat covers are all textured and I don't have slipping issues with them. The smooth vinyl on my cruiser seat feels a little slick with ArmorAll, but doesn't really cause any riding issues.

My dad used lemon pledge on the seat of his 86 250r and it made the cover last forever. But it was mad slippery. I Finally talked him out of using it so it wouldn't be so sketchy to ride and it wasn't two weeks later that cover split right across the middle. He was pissed at me but at least it got a new cover and wasn't like sitting on a block of ice amymore

I pull every bolt/nut I can and hit em with the buffing wheel to bring the luster back and totally detail every nook (fine steel wool all aluminum) and cranny and it works every time... I just did every bolt/nut on a complete KX 100 engine and it sold in 20min @ a "buy it now" price on ebay when there were 8 other engines for days listed all @ around the same price. :bonk:

I make sure any bike I'm selling is in good working order and clean. If the graphics are tattered,I usually just remove them. I also try to be upfront about the little things that you are going to have on a used bike. If there is a ding in the wheel,dent in the pipe,etc,I point it out. It not only builds some goodwill,but takes away some of the things the buyer is going to try to use to nickel and dime you on price when negotiations begin by showing them you are aware of those things and have set your price accordingly. I also price a couple hundred high to leave some wiggle room. I assume everyone does that.

I armoral mine, It's not the friction between the seat and my seat that keeps me in place,I stay put sitting the same way I do standing,it's all a matter of keeping some weight on the pegs and using ballance and holding on to the handlebars correctly.I hate gripper seats,but I'm outvoted,so who cares.

Would you ever buy a bike that looked like junk ? fresh tires,good grips,chain,sprockets, you know all the little things you would want to be in good shape if you bought a used bike.

I run when I hear the "only needs" deal, that almost always means that there is a significant issue at the other end of that $10 part...or lots of expensive parts that connect to the cheap one are broken.

Agreed, if you hear this then the seller is most likely an idiot and hoping that you are too.

Use Scotchbrite pads on the rims, swing arm, frame, pipe and easy to clean places on the engine. It makes a huge difference on the look of the bike and really doesn't take that long

i have a book for my bike, and its full of notes and measurements, also pics of engine internals, this is how the next guy that buys my bike will know i cared about and maintained my bike, ive never seen this in any bike ive shopped for but if i did you know i would jump on it

• Like 1