Kawi 10port injector+JD+AEM UEGO on a Powered Up 2008 TE510

As listed in the title my plans are big (power). I own a 2008 TE510 with the Arrow Exhaust and racing wire harness and plan to fit a 10port injector with a JD tuner. I already have the wideband AEM UEGO and I plan to tune it in 3rd gear pulls on a asphalt uphill. The other parts are already ordered and on the way.

What is the wideband AEM UEGO? Is it a wideband o2 sensor? If so, why limit yourself with the JD tuner when you can get soooo much more accurate with something like a PC5 or a bazazz system? JD seems to be the holy grail for husky guys but it is a very basic, block-style tuner. With a wideband sensor you can really break down your tuning across throttle positions and RPM's. The JD is only worth spit if you lack the wideband info and are "winging" it.

Yes, the UEGO is a wideband O2 sensor.I don't like the idea of a laptop in my backpack all the time for one thing and I like the on-the-trail adjustability of the JD tuner. If it won't be enough I'll sell it and get a PC V. Basically I want to tune the bike, not fine tune because I can live without the extra 2-3hp the PC 5 gives me. The 510 already is a beast, I just want to bring it to a 12.5-13 AFR on "most" of the RPM range. The other reason not to get the PC V is that I don't have access to a dyno :bonk: and full throttle with a 510 and an open laptop in my lap doesn't sound safe?))

Edited by kiparosu

Well at least you seem to understand the issues, most people think the JD is the "Bomb" when it is really a compromise. In the interest of big power, Are you aware that there is an add-on component for a PCv called the "autotune" where it automatically samples the exhaust and adjusts fuelunits to your selected AFR? It works great and you would just use your ame uphill to make pulls on, it will do the rest. You use the laptop to set your target AFR only, and then to accept the map it creates real-time. I'm pretty sure it also allows for ignition timing changes.

Also, with the different injector I'm curious what the different efficiency will be. Can the JD compensate enough for something like a completely different injector? (Which may or may not even be an issue). With the different injector it seems to me like the precise adjustment offered by a PCv and autotune is EXACTLY what you'll need, and may even require.

Edited by 36MotoMarc

The new injector has about the same flowrate, only more holes with a smaller diameter (a better atomization). The autotune is great but more expensive and I ride enduro , not supermoto or motocross to look for the very last horsepower. My goal is to make the bike efficient in terms of fuel efficiency and throttle response, but also maintain a safe AFR. My 2008 TE510 with the power up is running uber rich (11.8 AFR at idle and 10 AFR at WOT) The 600$ autotune+PCV is better spent on suspension tuning for enduro in my opinnion. The JD cost me 240$ in Romania and I'll hope it will do the job. I'll start posting some pics as the bike is undergoing some preparations first.

This injector swap requires more advanced pulse control (PC V) when you mount it on a 250 or 310 and you have to take away a lot of fuel in order to tune it.

Sounds like you have a great handle on things. I'm interested in how it goes, keep us posted. lol 10-1 Yes expect big gains from just getting in the ballpark!! My best horsepower ALWAYS came between 12.8 and 13.2 to 1 (all sportbikes and powercruisers). 13.2-13.8 is safe but sacrafices power for economy. Have fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well all the parts are in. Have tuned the bike with the stock injector, it was running uber rich before. Ended up at 0.5-0.5-1.5-1.5 on the JD tuner (stock values are 3-3-3-3), so leaned out quite a bit and still idle is at 12.5-12.8, the rest in the high 12's AFR and 12.3-12.5 at WOT. Just got the new injector today and there is quite a difference in how it pulls. I just needed to lean it up just a little bit, but you could just run the injector without the tuner also and notice quite a difference. I bet the flow is almost the same as the stock 510 injector. The bike pulls like crazy and it revs faster. So far so good. Will tune it more tomorrow with the accelerator pump feature. Pics on the way.

img4043m.jpg

img4034r.jpg

img4032r.jpg

Edited by kiparosu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...