Sign in to follow this  

1998 ktm 250sx

While riding my bike the other day the thing just died. It was like the gas just shut off. I gave it a quick once over and let it sit for a few minutes. I was able to kick it over and run for about 10-15 seconds and was unable to start it again. It seems like its not getting fuel or spark.

I did a couple things before this ride. I changed the oil in the gear box with 80w gear oil (which is the same as SAE30). I also used a different type of pre-mix oil. The bike has always used Lucas 2cycle. I couldnt find it, so i went with a Castor 927 mixed @ 24:1.The fuel mixture is the same as its always been with Lucas.

I got the thing home and drained the gas, and used Lucas oil mixture. I also cleaned the carb/drained the gear oil/cleaned the spark plug. Still wont kick over.

I noticed at this point that the clutch wouldnt engage. I can shift the gears, but the bike wont roll when the clutch is pulled in. I pulled the plate off of the flywheel housing to inspect the cable and noticed what seemed to be a oil/fuel mixture in this compartment. I read in different forums that the KTM 250Sx has oil around the stator, so i think that is ok.

Bottom line. I need help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If I remember right the Castor 927 is a bean oil base and does not mix with other types of premix at all. The plug is probably fouled and you may need to get all that oil out of the cases and make sure the Castor 927 is cleaned out of the tank completely and out of the carb too.