Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse EXP, on a 250cc 2 stroke, strictly Motocross

I know that there are a ton of rekluse threads here, I applogize if anyone is offended by having their eyes gaze upon another one.

I had a Z-Start pro on my RMZ450, which I used strictly for MX. The main reason I got it was to stop stalling. Last year i had ankle surgury on my right side, this made starting my bike a painfull chore when it was on the stand...if it was out on the track and I was not in a good position (which was almost all the time)it was that much worse. This was made worse by the fact that I had my ankle braced and taped inside my boot and the feeling was not all there so I could not be very delicate with the rear brake. Plus concentrating on not hurting my already hurt foot made concentrating on not stalling a bit more difficult.

Well it worked out pretty well and made riding much easier and saved a bunch of aggravation. I grew to like it...but it did let me be very lazy, too lazy actualy since I just put it in 3rd and went.

I kind of lost the whole thrill of riding that I used to enjoy so much with a 125.

I ended up getting rid if the 450 and picked up a KTM250sx 2 smoker, Now I am contemplating whether or not to get an EXP for it, but I do not know if it will complement the power and delivery of the 2 stroke as well as it did with the 450.

This is my first 250 2 stroke, I have never ridden one before so I am not really sure how much clutching is necessary compared to a 125 or a 450.

I already know all the + and - of the auto....I am just wondering if anyone has any first hand experiance with one on a 250 2 smoke and using it strictly for MX.

I did a lot of research and it seems like the EXP 2.0 is for those that ride easy MX or strictly trails. I guess for MX the z-start pro is the way to go, so I bought one and finally got to try it this past weekend in the snow/ice/mud. lol

This is strictly from everything I have read on the web. I guess the EXP 2.0 isn't designed for hard MX. I would call Rekluse. Those guys rock!

I did a lot of research and it seems like the EXP 2.0 is for those that ride easy MX or strictly trails. I guess for MX the z-start pro is the way to go, so I bought one and finally got to try it this past weekend in the snow/ice/mud. lol

This is strictly from everything I have read on the web. I guess the EXP 2.0 isn't designed for hard MX. I would call Rekluse. Those guys rock!

I was under the impression that the opposite was true. I had the Z-start on my 450, I did not like how it made the clutch feel...but it was not a big deal since I really did not have to use it much.

This is my fear with the 250 2stroke, since they do require some clutch work to go fast, I want to have the feel be normal and consistant.

I have the Core EXP 2.0 in my 2012 250xc, though I race HS/CC, I practice on a motocross track, 2-3 times a week. I notice no difference in power delivery, slipping and such. The only thing I do notice is the clutch pull is slightly firmer. I highly recommend it for MX.

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf

they have a 30day money back policy im pretty sure.. how can you beat that? you can start off with the exp2.0, and if you find your burning up the clutch pay the extra to get the rest of teh CORE kit. The exp2.0 is just the centrif. acutated ring that takes the place of a fiber clutch plate.. the core is the entire wammy-jammy. Larger cover to accomodate all clutch plates AND exp ring (the exp2.0 requries that you remove some plates to fit it-thus the clutch can overheat easier), larger center hub and clutch basket, pressure plate, and lots of other stuff.

the z-start is the older model but some like it but has floppy lever, the exp and core have stock feel, but as someone above stated, slightly firmer pull as you have to use the stiffer springs that come with.

I have been running the Z-Start Pro on my YZ250. It did help to mellow out the hit slightly and make it a little easier to control on slippery tracks. The auto clutch is really nice to have at the end of a race.

But I wasn't a real fan of the inconsitent manual clutch action. I would only consider the Core EXP if you still like to manually clutch. I would not run the Z-Start for mx again. If I was doing woods only then the Z-Start would be the way to go.

i think the exp is they way to go. you can always upgrade to the core exp.

if you do notice a power loss with the exp, take it back out and take out the 3 blue springs in the exp its self. (comes from rekluse 3 blue springs 3 red springs). replace the 3 blue with the 3 extra red springs you are given in your exp pack. the red springs are softer and lets the exp engage quicker. there for giving it more throttle response and all that good jazz!

I have a PRO and a CORE EXP. There is no way I would use a PRO for strictly motocross. The Core EXP is the part for that. It's more or less transparent except that you can brake slide all day with no brakes and never kill the bike. That's a pretty huge deal if you find yourself trying to relight a diesel every other race or so.

Thanks for the good info guys, I was hoping that I would get some answers from folks who have tried both instead of bunch of anecdotal stuff.

I am going to go with theEXP.