Sign in to follow this  

is a Cush drive worth it

I have heard everything from "the CRF 05 trans is fine if you run 1 quart of trans oil" to "the 05 tranny is fragile if running it on pavement."

and I am trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

I don't run pavement much maybe 20 / 30 miles at a time and under 55 if i do. Don't plan to run highway stuff. But just use the pavement every so often to get me to the trails here in AZ. Is it worth getting a RAD cush drive for the bike so the transmission doesn't get hammered on from the added bite pavement adds? I have some friends that dual sport xr's and dr's and I am concerned if i run with them i may tear up my bike.

On a side note I am also toying with getting a set of supermoto wheels for the bike since there is a real nice cart track by me that runs sm's.

Would the money be better spent on getting a cush at all, getting a cush for a 17" rim or getting a cush for a 18" rim for dual sport or getting a cush for both rims ($$$!)

thanks guys let me know your thoughts. I am new to the crf and still learning all it's strengths and weaknesses. From what I have learned it's the 05 valves and the tranny that can be problematic.

-Ryan

low mile 05 CRF450X

IMG_20120219_173720.jpg

I ride DS as well and never very far at once. I don't think its necessary for that type use. If you were a supermoto or did more long range asphalt maybe.

The X tranny issue is with oil starvation due to long level surface roads, NOT due to excessive traction on tarmac, which is hard on the transmission when the rear wheel never spins.

You don't need a cush hub unless you ride Holligan or Super Moto, and thrash the thing.