Sign in to follow this  

Xr 650 L Upgrades and question

Hello all, I recently built my 2003 650l. Big bore kit,pipe, cam, flat slide carb,porting and polishing,cutting airbox and one tooth smaller on countershaft. I had it dyno tuned and it is putting out 46 hp and 38 pounds of torque. Is there a way to increase horsepower from here. This seems like a never ending battle but thought someone might have a suggestion?

You've done all of the obvious stuff. That head design isn't the greatest for big power. 46 HP is a strong 650L

There is always more compression, bigger cam, and better fuel until you reach the point where it is a ticking time bomb.

You've done all of the obvious stuff. That head design isn't the greatest for big power. 46 HP is a strong 650L

There is always more compression, bigger cam, and better fuel until you reach the point where it is a ticking time bomb.

Thanks lear, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I love this bike its at 10 and 1/2 to one compression but was thinking i might be able to get 5 hp more. Hey we cant win em all, but thanks again for your reply.

Hello all, I recently built my 2003 650l. Big bore kit,pipe, cam, flat slide carb,porting and polishing,cutting airbox and one tooth smaller on countershaft. I had it dyno tuned and it is putting out 46 hp and 38 pounds of torque. Is there a way to increase horsepower from here. This seems like a never ending battle but thought someone might have a suggestion?

More info on the parts/work would be helpful as would a dyno plot or at least the rpm at which the peaks occurred. The smaller sprocket didn't do anything, BTW. The carb probably didn't either.

That head design isn't the greatest for big power.

How do you mean?

Some heads just have a better design for high rpm and flow. This one isn't terrible, but it's no formula one engine either.

There's more hp hidden in the bike than 46, but at what reliability and dollar cost?