Sign in to follow this  

upgrade my 06 yz250f or get a new bike?

hey guys i have an 06 right now. it runs great the engine seems so mint. its all stock right now but i was wondering if i should in the future upgrade the 06 or go for a newer 2010 or 2011 model? I love this bike, but im always into the newest and greatest. So i want to get a newer bike. but would it be worth it? Should i just bore it out? put in a high comp pitston. hotcams etc and deck out the engine? it would be cool to get some opinions!

You'll probably get 50/50 responses on this. I personally didn't get alogn with the 06-09 chassis, so to me the 2010+ is worth the upgrade just for the newer frame. The motor obviously isn't much difference but depending on the person that might not be a bad thing. Some riders wouldn't want to upgrade to a new bike w/o efi, espec when the motor isn't much different from your current bike. At the end of the day, i still feel like getting a 2010+ is a nice move. it's a much better handling bike in every aspect, in my opinion. Plus the motor is at least as good as your 06 and is gonna be super reliable. Plus, since you arent coming from a heavily modded bike, the new one certainly wont feel slower.

yea going to a 2010+ bike wouldnt feel much different power wise going from stock engine to stock engine. What would you say a 06 would go for price wise? it has new sprockets + chain, new plastic and needs nothing. Around 2500?? would it be better to buy a 2010 leftover? or a used one? would they be around the same price?

I don't see a problem with getting $2500 out of the 06 if it is as nice as you say. i don't know if there would be any 2010 left-overs in your area but more likely some 2011s. Either way, even the 12s seem to be going for cheap around my way. A couple dealers are advertising the 12s for like $5800 so I'm sure the 11s are going for great prices. If you can afford to go new, then I'd do that. If not, there are plenty of clean used ones out there. Just be selective and that would likely be the cheapest route.

yea the bike is in great condition the only thing bad about it some of the engine just has stain spots from mud but ive been working on cleaning that up. and 5800 for a 2012? wow that would be great i was thinking like 7200. thatd be nice if i could sell it for around 2500 and then save the other 3300. and yea im from maine right now one of the big dealers dont have any motocross bikes in stock just all snomobiles. they didnt sell any tho cuz we havnt gotten any snow lol and we usually get 8-10 feet throughout the winter season. so there stock is full of snomobiles. They only usually have 1 display model and 2-3 sitting outback anyways. Not very big dealers up this way lol Are there any major changes in the 2012 chasis to the 2006 chasis? i know thats along time lol

Well 7200 is the sticker price. But since the 12s have been out for awhile, some dealers have them listed at fairly cheap prices. I got mine last year as a leftover and got it for $5400. As far as chassis, like I said, I prefer the new frame of the 2010+ compared to the 06-09. It feels much more aggressive while still remaining stable. I was coming off of riding Suzukis though so it suited me (since I feel like the newer YZFs are sharper turning than the previous generation). I haven't ridde a 2012 yet but it seems like it is very similar to the 10-11 but a little easier to ride when the track gets choppy.

yea im going to save up and look into a leftover 11 or maybe even a new 2012 depends on finances lol. im onnly 18 so financing wouldnt be an optoin lol

and when im about 2500 away ill sell my 06

I got my 06 for 2000 and its in good condition with the only mods being the pipe and comfort/durability stuff i think you may be a bit high but idk good luck

hey guys i have an 06 right now. it runs great the engine seems so mint. its all stock right now but i was wondering if i should in the future upgrade the 06 or go for a newer 2010 or 2011 model? I love this bike, but im always into the newest and greatest. So i want to get a newer bike. but would it be worth it? Should i just bore it out? put in a high comp pitston. hotcams etc and deck out the engine? it would be cool to get some opinions!

You mention you're "into the newest and greatest".... If that's the case then go with a brand new 2012. Then in the fall, get a 2013!

If we're all painfully honest with ourselves, the reason we get the newest and greatest bikes is only for that very reason. Any bike 2006+ is not holding us back from our racing goals. I'd venture a guess that a new 2012 versus a good 2006 is worth maybe... MAYBE a second a lap. Maybe. Personally I like to ride a little bit older bike that is 100% stock and and use it as motivation to beat the posers with the latest bike, pipe, and gear.

My $0.02 since you asked for it.

I think about this as well. Is modding my '06 worth it or is my '06 already outdated. Well finances don't allow me to upgrade to a newer bike right now. Req'ed maintenence is about all I can afford. This MXA article made me feel better. Well the end at least( they dumped a ton of money in theirs but it came with a blown engine). http://motocrossactionmag.com/Yamaha/News/RESTORE-THAT-OLD-DOG-WE-BRING-A-2006-YZ250F-BACK-F-8334.aspx Some preferred the '06 powerband and they said it was competitive with the newer model 250f's. If you have the money for a new bike go for it but it sounds like the chassis is the only reason to upgrade. Otherwise enjoy the '06 as it's not too long in the tooth yet.

I had the same decision to make a few months ago.

I choose to upgrade my '06 with a big bore kit, custom cams, porting and polishing the head, and carb mods.

It's going to feel like a new bike to me.

I had the same decision to make a few months ago.

I choose to upgrade my '06 with a big bore kit, custom cams, porting and polishing the head, and carb mods.

It's going to feel like a new bike to me.

was the motor blown when you did this or was it running good and you upgraded it? The only reasonis cuz i dont really fix something unless its broken lol. like if its blown ill bore it out or something haha. yes it will defninetly feel liike a new bike and will have more power then the stock 2012's haha damn now im not sure what to do again though. hmmmm

I think about this as well. Is modding my '06 worth it or is my '06 already outdated. Well finances don't allow me to upgrade to a newer bike right now. Req'ed maintenence is about all I can afford. This MXA article made me feel better. Well the end at least( they dumped a ton of money in theirs but it came with a blown engine). http://motocrossacti...ACK-F-8334.aspx Some preferred the '06 powerband and they said it was competitive with the newer model 250f's. If you have the money for a new bike go for it but it sounds like the chassis is the only reason to upgrade. Otherwise enjoy the '06 as it's not too long in the tooth yet.

love this article thanks!

was the motor blown when you did this or was it running good and you upgraded it? The only reasonis cuz i dont really fix something unless its broken lol. like if its blown ill bore it out or something haha. yes it will defninetly feel liike a new bike and will have more power then the stock 2012's haha damn now im not sure what to do again though. hmmmm

No, the engine only needed a check up. I was just impressed with the way the bike responded to previous modifications and was proving itself to be bulletproof. At 6'1" 200lbs I need to either build something to suit my stature or just buy a YZ450F.

I was just too attached how the bike handled off road and how forgiving it is on me as far as not leaving me feeling like I'm wrestling a machine all day. While I'm sure the newer YZ-Fs are great, I already had the suspension re-everything'd to my specifications and I don't think a shiney new dirt bike is right for me. I push my bikes hard, harder than I would want to push something new. I consider it abuse because my bikes get very well maintained.

I think as long as you stay on blue bike... You'll be satisfied.

Good Luck

I think as long as you stay on blue bike... You'll be satisfied.

Good Luck

Oh ya! Yamaha always! i think i might deck out my current bike, the 06. It will cost half as much to do and will feel new to me. I do love how this bike rides and would be very upset if a new bike i dumped a load of cash into was bad and i end up disappointed. thanks for the opinions guys keep em coming lol

Your like me I like all the new stuff, I have a 07 yzf I was going to upgrade to a 12 this year but just put new piston , new cam chain, had forks and shock re valved and sprung for my weight and now the bike is like a completely new bike, handles great, turns better and has great power again, it is nice when your on an older bike and still beat people on new bikes, another think I look at is if you just spent loads off $$$$$$$ on a new bike and the engine went pop like some do I would want to die, on an older bike if the same happened I would still not be a happy Lad but still not the end of the world then ,

Not saying keeping the 06 is a bad idea, in fact it can be a great idea. i will say that if you did get a 2010+ that you wouldn't be disappointed in it. It is not a step backwards, especially if you tweak it a bit to wake it up a bit (get an exhaust, Air4orce and get the suspension dialed to your liking). However, there is something to be said for sticking with a bike that is already working great for you and taking it a step farther with some more upgrades. Like someone said above, if you are riding a Yamaha at least you know your 250f is going to hold up, whether it's an 06 or 10+

. Like someone said above, if you are riding a Yamaha at least you know your 250f is going to hold up, whether it's an 06 or 10+

thats the truth. :lol: has anybody put a bigbore kit in there 250f? im lookin at 290cc kit right now found a full kit for 400 :bonk::) anyone have any experience with those?