Sign in to follow this  

Xr70 only runs when tilted over help

So my new 2003 xr70 was running great all day then suddenly bogged out like i had hit the kill switch. So i put it on the kick stand and it fires right up and revs great so i get on and sit it up straight and it dies but if i quickly push it left onto the kickstand again it runs again. This leads me to believe it is electrial but i dont know where to start. The cdi box is plugged in, the green ground wire it nice and tightly grounded so any help is welcomed!

i not sure why you think its electrical. im betting it is something in the carb. or maybe it is out of gas and only gets fuel when it leans over :bonk:

i not sure why you think its electrical. im betting it is something in the carb. or maybe it is out of gas and only gets fuel when it leans over :bonk:

Well its not the normal out of gas sound and the whole carb is clean. It sounds like someone just hit the kill switch

when the fuel mixture gets really lean it sounds just like the kill switch has been pressed. i suppose it could be electrical, but very unlikely. the carburetor seems to e the most finicky think on these little motos.

when the fuel mixture gets really lean it sounds just like the kill switch has been pressed. i suppose it could be electrical, but very unlikely. the carburetor seems to e the most finicky think on these little motos.

Alright, i'd agree with that. So where do you think i should start? Float? If i rember right, these carbs don't have a adjustable float.

i would check for loose bolts on the manifold. maybe it came loose and is leaking air, or something in the carb got stuck or clogged.

does the float in those bikes have a plastic hinge/ valve??? i guess you cant adjust hight if that is the case.

if you want to test your ignition theory, you can take the plug out and kick it over while it is at an angle and check spark, then try it upright.

If the stuff mentioned previously doesn't turn up anything, here are a few things to consider. What happens when you turn the handlebars while it's idling and sitting up straight or if you turn the bars while it's leaned over? Just wondering if pushing/pulling on any of the wires or the throttle cable could be causing the problem. For example, maybe the idle speed adjustment screw is a little off and let's say that you may not have enough slack in the throttle cable. Perhaps when you turn the bars and then lean the bike over, the slide is lifted up ever so slightly to allow a better idle. I guess the point is that I would check the idle screw setting and the throttle cable slack and make sure they're adjusted properly and also check the slack with the bars turned left and turned right.

As far as the wiring goes, if the problem happens when the bars are turned and you've eliminated the throttle cable/idle screw adjustment, I suppose it could be a chafed wire from one of the kill switches shorting to ground. It makes sense that moving the bars also moves the wires so that the wires could short when the bars are in one position and not be shorted in another.

Then again, maybe there's some water in the float bowl that is more easily picked up when the bike is sitting up straight than when leaned over.

i would check for loose bolts on the manifold. maybe it came loose and is leaking air, or something in the carb got stuck or clogged.

does the float in those bikes have a plastic hinge/ valve??? i guess you cant adjust hight if that is the case.

if you want to test your ignition theory, you can take the plug out and kick it over while it is at an angle and check spark, then try it upright.

Well im gunna pull it apart tonight and just give it a good cleaning and test the ignition while im at it. I'll tell you how it goes

If the stuff mentioned previously doesn't turn up anything, here are a few things to consider. What happens when you turn the handlebars while it's idling and sitting up straight or if you turn the bars while it's leaned over? Just wondering if pushing/pulling on any of the wires or the throttle cable could be causing the problem. For example, maybe the idle speed adjustment screw is a little off and let's say that you may not have enough slack in the throttle cable. Perhaps when you turn the bars and then lean the bike over, the slide is lifted up ever so slightly to allow a better idle. I guess the point is that I would check the idle screw setting and the throttle cable slack and make sure they're adjusted properly and also check the slack with the bars turned left and turned right.

As far as the wiring goes, if the problem happens when the bars are turned and you've eliminated the throttle cable/idle screw adjustment, I suppose it could be a chafed wire from one of the kill switches shorting to ground. It makes sense that moving the bars also moves the wires so that the wires could short when the bars are in one position and not be shorted in another.

Then again, maybe there's some water in the float bowl that is more easily picked up when the bike is sitting up straight than when leaned over.

I don't think its the throttle but ill give it a look, although i like the idea of the kill switch wires doing something, because it acts like a killswitch, ill explain. So when you have any bike running and you hit the killswitch, it take a few seconds to kill and alot of the time if you disengage the killswitch during that time, it will start up again. When i lean the bike left runs fine, tilt up it starts to die, lean left again and back to normal. just a thought

i love all these posts that talk about problems...and never a resolution...if this was resolved or is still a problem, lets close out these threads so we can all learn from them...cool...thanks!