Sign in to follow this  

compression tester? Brand? results?

So I wanted to know where my compression was on my 300. Bought the harbor freight Universal adaptor gauge. you screw in the hose then use a quick connect to get to the gauge. went together just fine, but when I kick it, it only goes to 60 lbs. i doubt this is right, since it is still hard to kick, and it was running fine last time I rode it!

Something special about a 2 smoke making this inacurate? or Harbor freight crap? or need upper end rebuild? anyone have any ideas?

Carl Johansson

The thing about compression testers is that the readings vary widely. I have had a cheap Wal Mart compression tester for years...I was changing the spark plug on my 2007 300 XC yesterday..so I figured why not give it a try. As I suspected, the results didnt tell me anything. It read 120 lbs...what does that mean? Its a cheap tester, so it could really be 150 lbs...or it could use a rebuild. I just bought it back in May, so I am not sure. I shouldnt have bothered. If anyone, (including myself) is going to compression test an engine, go spend some money on a quality tool, not Wal Mart or Harbor Frieght. I would have more faith in the reading with a quality compression tester. I have looked up the exhaust port when I had the pipe off and everything looked good, so I suspect its ok...but thats not a real test.

I suspect your procedure is giving you the inaccurate reading. Warm the engine to operating temp. Hold the throttle wide open, hold the kill switch, and kick until it gives you a more realistic reading. I think I kicked mine about 3 times.

Edited by moto_rider7755