KX250F Reliability and Maintanance

Hey 250F guys now I need your help,Im 17 yrs old 125lbs and have been riding for 6 years now.My current bike now is a KX100 2-stroke,im 5ft10 so I'm too big for it now.Im used to reliable bikes that aren't a pain to maintain.My dad rides a KLX450R and I ride that sometimes but its way too much bike for me.So im very loyal to Kawi,sounds rediculous but I've had 3 Kawasaki's and they have all been great bikes.We only ride trails we ride in Southern NJ,and we take trips to PA and west VA.So now my main concerns are:

1.KX250F Reliability-I don't want a bike that won't be reliable

2.KX250F Maintenence-For 6 years we've taken top notch care of all of our bikes.General work(oil,oil filter,air filter and chain etc) is fine.Getting into the guts of a high $ high performance 4-stroke has me quite worried.

3.Is it a good woods bike?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

You are in my almost exact place as i was about 6 months ago. I had a kx100, 120lbs but about 5'4". And all i pretty much road was trails and messing around with friends. Then i started growing and i was ready for some more power, but i wasn't sure if i was ready for all the maintenance that came along with a high powered 4-stroke race bike. So I sold my Kx100 and bought a 2007 Kx250f with around 20hrs on it. And I have no regrets at all about getting it, I love it! Its a little bit more weight to move around on the trails, but it has more then enough power and handles awesome once you get your suspension setup to your weight(I just had mine done and rode it for the first time today and it handles 10X better). And at 5'10" your probably the perfect size because I'm 5'7" and I'm on my tippy toes lol.

As for maintenance goes, you have to change the oil a little bit more often and keep the air filter nice and clean. And then every 15 or so hours check and shim the valves. Which if you aren't racing or riding the rev limiter a lot won't be as big of a deal. Also I would look for a 2008 or 2009 as everyone seems to say they are the most reliable.

I would say go for it! I love mine and it was the perfect next step up and plan on keeping it for a long time!

By the way where do you ride? I live in northern Delaware and ride in PA and NJ a lot and I've been to west Virginia as well.

• Like 1

had a 07 and 09 kx250f, but over 250hrs in the woods, cross countries, etc. been great woods bikes, and in that time other than a good maintenance program, I have had one intake valve zero out due to a hole ripped in air filter. Pretty good I reckon.

We bought one of the first 2009 KX250F's to hit the showroom floor in the first year of racing spent over 1900.00 on maintance mostly engine failures. We bought a 2010 YZ250F and it is now on second year of racing and has required one piston (could still see hone marks in cylinder) one set of intake valves did not need them just changed as preventave maintance total non basic maintance cost 450.00

You are in my almost exact place as i was about 6 months ago. I had a kx100, 120lbs but about 5'4". And all i pretty much road was trails and messing around with friends. Then i started growing and i was ready for some more power, but i wasn't sure if i was ready for all the maintenance that came along with a high powered 4-stroke race bike. So I sold my Kx100 and bought a 2007 Kx250f with around 20hrs on it. And I have no regrets at all about getting it, I love it! Its a little bit more weight to move around on the trails, but it has more then enough power and handles awesome once you get your suspension setup to your weight(I just had mine done and rode it for the first time today and it handles 10X better). And at 5'10" your probably the perfect size because I'm 5'7" and I'm on my tippy toes lol.

As for maintenance goes, you have to change the oil a little bit more often and keep the air filter nice and clean. And then every 15 or so hours check and shim the valves. Which if you aren't racing or riding the rev limiter a lot won't be as big of a deal. Also I would look for a 2008 or 2009 as everyone seems to say they are the most reliable.

I would say go for it! I love mine and it was the perfect next step up and plan on keeping it for a long time!

By the way where do you ride? I live in northern Delaware and ride in PA and NJ a lot and I've been to west Virginia as well.

In April we are going to Minds and Meadows,we are also going to Hatfield McCoys for the 2nd year in a row.We ride in Wharton state forest in SJ.

In April we are going to Minds and Meadows,we are also going to Hatfield McCoys for the 2nd year in a row.We ride in Wharton state forest in SJ.

All i gotta say is lock up your bikes good! My Kx85 got stolen off of our trailer in the hotel parking lot, even with a cable lock going through all the bikes/quads.

And how are the trails in wharton state forest? Thats not too far from me!

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't do your own bike maint., the four stroke is probably not for you. I could not imagine how expensive it would get to take it to the dealer to have the valve adjustment checked ect.Yamaha's 250f is pretty bullet proof if thats really what your looking for, but your going to justify the tiny bit more reliability for quite a bit of power loss in the motor department, those yz250fs are so gutless.

when will you be pulling the trigger on the KX250f?

You planning on new or previously ran?

Kawi has been putting a lot of RD into there bikes ...either being the 250 or the 450 ... i believe that is one reason they stopped the KLX in the states (IMO)

Every rider has their pick of color !! I actually grew up on Suzuki .. but when I got my KLX250R i went green .. and really don;t look at other brands now...

Street bike different story ...Harley only.

hope you get one soon ..

I've always heard that the KX250F was a pretty tough customer, that's part of the reason why I went with one for my first modern 4 stroke. Of course, some people can tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer, but if you maintain it and don't try to use the Barcia riding style, a KX250F should be as long lived and no harder to keep up than any other 250F.

• Like 1

I've always heard that the KX250F was a pretty tough customer, that's part of the reason why I went with one for my first modern 4 stroke. Of course, some people can tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer, but if you maintain it and don't try to use the Barcia riding style, a KX250F should be as long lived and no harder to keep up than any other 250F.

Well not able to compare the new KXF's but like i said before our maintance costs on our New 2009 KXF VS new 2009 YZ250F were a quarter as much for the Yamaha. The KX did see a little more use than the YZ but hour by hour the KX was waaaay more expensive to race

Well not able to compare the new KXF's but like i said before our maintance costs on our New 2009 KXF VS new 2009 YZ250F were a quarter as much for the Yamaha. The KX did see a little more use than the YZ but hour by hour the KX was waaaay more expensive to race

What did you have the problems with? One particular part/area, or varying?

Curious since I just bought an '09. ?

I don't know how people say the yzf are slow there not slow at all , there is hardly any diffrence is all the bikes, I test rode a new 2012 kxf the other day, the most powerful 250f and in all honesty all it had was abit better top end so could hold the gear abit longer, but it didn't feel and quicker than the yz