Sign in to follow this  

kx250 top end!

I decided to rebuild the top end on my 2003 kx250 I just picked up. Thsi was my first time doing a top end, I was kinda scared but it wasnt bad at all getiing everything tore down.

I got everything tore down and took the piston and bore to a local mechanic that has an awesome reputation just to let him look at the bore and all. Boy am I glad I took it to him. I didnt even notice it but the piston had 3 cracks on the intake side of the piston. He is gonna hone it for me and clean the power valves, but he said we may have to send it off to be replated, but we want know untill after he hones it, he says I might could get one more top end out of it after he hones it then the next time send it off to get replated. I am thinkin about going ahead and getting it replated anyways. I was told by the seller that the top end had never been rebuilt. The mechanic told me it looked like the bike had seized up or tried to seize at one time or another.

Any suggestions????

Edited by Hogdgz

unless it was sleeved then your not supposed to hone it.Just clean it or if its bad replate it.

The mechanic will be cleaning/deglazing the cylinder with a ball-hone. This will give a better visual look at the cylinder wall and port openings. If the cylinder plating is scored, worn off, or flaking, then a replate is needed. If a port or bridge is cracked or broken, then replace the cylinder. I have heard of guys welding ports, but this very seldom works.

Measure the cylinder bore and compare to the specs in the manual. This will tell you if the cylinder is good or needs to be replated.

Good luck!

Thanks alot youngztr, I am hoping the cylinder is still good. I will keep yall posted.

Edited by Hogdgz