Sign in to follow this  

Supercross nobody wearing neck braces?

I went to the dallas sx last weekend and I noticed in the main events that there was only about 25% of the pros wearing neck braces. Dungey wore a leatte the last few years when he was on suzuki but after he switched to ktm he doesn't wear one. I figured everybody would be wearing them after Morais broke his neck in 3 places but just the opposite is happening. I just broke my collarbone the 2nd time wearing a leatte the but my surgeon claims that neither of them from the brace. I am just wondering why nobody wears them any more because i am tempted to stop wearing mine......

I don't see why people care about this but I know Reed said he does not wear one cause it caused his friends death he believes. If I knew it would stop me from being paralyzed I would wear it

I don't see why people care about this but I know Reed said he does not wear one cause it caused his friends death he believes. If I knew it would stop me from being paralyzed I would wear it

That's not very good reasoning, if you ask me. Find one person who has been killed by a neck brace, and you could find 10 who believe that the brace saved them. You can't make someone safe in every possible circumstance.

Obviously some of the fast guys don't think they help prevent injury enough to wear them

One thing the neck brace has proven is it's ability to stir up controversy

Tomac says it hasn't really been proven. And when He took it off a this years GEICO photoshoot he said it was unbelievable how much more free he feels on the bike. He also credited the loss of the brace to his new found aggressive riding style.

There isn't a single shred of reliable evidence proving, beyond a shadow of doubt, that neck braces work. Now if there was a proven testing system like there is for helmets, like the SNELL standards, then it would be a different story. But right now every single neck brace on the market uses ONLY emotional marketing to sell their product.

Look are Reed's crash from Saturday, he was able to tuck enough to save his head and neck.