Sign in to follow this  

M403/404 vs MX51 vs D952

What does everyone think of these tires? I'll be getting front and rear tires for my yz250. I ride primarily in southern Idaho. The terrain varies from dry dusty hard pack to deep sand with lots of rocks. I mostly want tires that are fairly versatile and hold up well and most importantly get decent traction. I've run the 952's before, but I've heard good things about the mx51's and the bridgestones. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks,

Ian

My 403/404 combo lasted longer than any Dunlop ever has for me. The Bridgestones seemed to make the bike more predictable and controllable while sliding too. The back end is easier to control. The front didn't just wash out any more. It sort of let go slowly and gave you time to react and possibly save it. I don't plan on buying any other tires unless they quit making the 403/404's.

I'm a fan of the mx51s. I read a bunch of good things on here about them so I grabbed a set fr my yz and it turned it into a new bike. My new crf250 came with the 51s already on it and I've never ridden a bike that felt so planted. Feels like I can lay the bike over as hard as I want and that front tire just stays planted. My buddy just got the 403/404 on his cr250 and says its amazing so I might give those a shot when the dunlops wear out.

After chunking most of the outer knobs on front MX31 and MX51 tires in a relatively short time, the 403 front tire is certainly a relief, i.e. no knob chunking thus far and it handles as well or better than the Dunlops.

I went back and fourth with those for a while but I tell you the Pirelli MT32s have been real good for me...especially the front. Very confidence inspiring. The 51 was to loose for me up front.

I don't know anybody who likes the 51 on the front and I've got 403/404's that I've been riding indoors all winter on my 450 and there chunking way sooner than my 51 rear 31 front ever have... Going back to that combo in a few weeks... but there both great combo's when new from my experience!

Sounds like you ride similar terrain to us here in the desert. All three of those tires have been used to success and you really cant go wrong. Opinions seem to vary so much...just try them all they wear out fast enough to go through several a year. At least the rears do.

Another tire people are running out here are the Kenda Parker DT's and many seem to like them. I plan on checking those out myself.

Also the Maxxis desert IT....but some hate them/others love them. My bike had one on the front when I bought it and it really did nothing bad..and I have used the rears in the past on previous bikes. But I do think the Dunlop 952's I have on now are better...and cheaper.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm mostly trying to pick out a really good front. From what I can tell from all of the reviews and posts, it just depends on personal preference. I'll probably stick with the 952 on the rear just because they're cheap and last pretty long compared to other tires I have run.

By the way, nofb, you're right, I spend 99 percent of my riding time in the desert. I've talked to people that I race with, but none of them can give a straight answer and for every person that says one tire is great, there is another that says it sucks.

My experience is with D952s, D756s, MX51s, MX71s, and Maxxis Desert I front and rear tires..

I ride varied types of desert terrain including hard granite, so I need duable tires.

The 952 is a good, durable, inexpensive rear, However, I didn't feel the 952 front is as stable as my favorite durable front tire, the MX71.

My favorite rear tire is the 952. Ive got it on my wr250, 2 yz125's and an it175. they get good traction and last a very long time. Ive been running a bridgestone ED11 on the front of my wr since summer and it is amazing in all the terrain I ride! when my other bikes need front tires they will get the ED11.

Edited by RELIC

403/404 here in Idaho for sure.

I ran the MX51 back and liked it okay, but I like the 404 better for track riding. If you're just looking for longevity out in the desert and hills maybe consider the Maxxis IT. But I wouldn't run the Dunlop or Maxxis up front.

Pirelli MXeXTRA work as good or better and last way longer than MX51 or 403/404, which do this:

e25279d8.jpg

I have owned pirelli mx tires, they have chunked far worse than any tire ive ran. Many people on this board agree they are the chunkiest.

I have owned pirelli mx tires, they have chunked far worse than any tire ive ran. Many people on this board agree they are the chunkiest.

Yes, the MXMH (and maybe MXMS, never tried it though) chunked like crazy, I agree on that. The MxExtra looks similar but wears drastically different, though.

Worst chunking tires I've ever run have all been Dunlops. Never had a problem with Bridegstones or Pirellis.

Now watch my next set of 403/404's chunk all over the place.

So far very happy with the M404, typical east coast riding, with varied terrain, hard pack, red clay, mud and rocks