Sign in to follow this  

10w-40 vs 15W-50

just as stated, i think the 15w-50 runs quieter, what do you guys use and does the manual even recommend oil that thick. I plan on changing my oil every 10 hours of mx riding and replace the filter every other oil change. Will 20w50 synthetic be ok for my climate?

Edited by roostierooster855

10w-40 is good for 14deg.F to about 110deg.F , 15w-40 is 40deg. to about 110deg., 20w-50 is 40deg. to 122deg. Ten hours seems a little long, I change mine every race about 3 hours. Also some clutch sets dont recommend full synthetic oil.

Edited by Joshx221

ok thank you helped alot, this is a stock clutch and im using klotz 20w50 mx4 which is for mx bikes so i think it will be fine, i was running rotella but im sick of changing it every ride, rotella will work fine but you literally have to change it after every ride for it to protect your motor where mx4 and other hi performance oils hold up longer and protect better with there additive package. And then alot of people say you still should not go that long because of clutch material well as far as im concerned the oil filter should catch all that. I have heard of people going longer though. And our bikes rev to 13,500 rpm where a semi red lines at 2,100 rpm and a diesel truck like a f250 red lines at 3,000. Now i hope i start a new thread here for all the people who run this oil........

oh boy are you all wrong.

i've been testing oil in the yz250f for 11 years now.

i've yet to test a 10w40 that stays in grade for 2hrs of motor use.

i have yet to test a 15w40 that falls out of grade in 2hrs of motor use.

i have tested some 20w50s that fall out of grade in 2hrs (some less).

i have not tested klotz in any grade.

few oils hold up to their marketing hype. you can prove this by getting a kit from blackstone and sending you oil in for a test.

i have, more than 60 times already.

oh boy are you all wrong.

i've been testing oil in the yz250f for 11 years now.

i've yet to test a 10w40 that stays in grade for 2hrs of motor use.

i have yet to test a 15w40 that falls out of grade in 2hrs of motor use.

i have tested some 20w50s that fall out of grade in 2hrs (some less).

i have not tested klotz in any grade.

few oils hold up to their marketing hype. you can prove this by getting a kit from blackstone and sending you oil in for a test.

i have, more than 60 times already.

ok, so what oils have you found that do hold up?

id like to know, since you have done the research, they all say they are the best, so kinda hard to choose.

Wait, you want to run an oil because it's quieter??? You might want to invest in a different exhaust instead...

Keep in mind when comparing oil longevity to cars and trucks that they may not rev as high, but you don't change the oil in your car or truck for a LOT longer than 5-10 hours!

Wait, you want to run an oil because it's quieter??? You might want to invest in a different exhaust instead...

Keep in mind when comparing oil longevity to cars and trucks that they may not rev as high, but you don't change the oil in your car or truck for a LOT longer than 5-10 hours!

no, the engine runs quieter, less racket, smoother...... etc why would you even think of it in that wat

obviousally you have not read the forum faq.

do a search.

i have posted on oil about 90million times over the last 11 years.

read it, and it really does not say much about oil just dont turn it into a me to thread and you can switch from synthetic to conventional oil any time, you should make a sticky about your oil test so me and many others dont have to find the threads you are talking about and then find your post, its like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I tried looking theme up and found nothing..... and not only that alot of us do not have the experience you do and want to know what oil to run, if you ask your dealer they just try and sell you the most expensive stuff. I want to run a good oil and something thats easy on the wallet, thats why i have been running rotella t but still dont know how often i should change it. Any of your suggestions would be awsome

Edited by roostierooster855

obviousally you have not read the forum faq.

do a search.

i have posted on oil about 90million times over the last 11 years.

Why cant you just say what the answer is, or at least post up a link to your thread, about your oil findings?

searching on this site is not easy, it brings up topics from 2004.

really come on, if your going to take the time to make a post, then why dont you make it worth your time and our time

cause hes a very helpful moderator on here..... :lol:

he knows all about oil.... :bonk:

:lol:

ok fine just how many hours do you think i should put on the oil before changing it thats all i really want to know at this point

Roostie....I see his point any why he is so bitter. I myself have seen his post a few months back, and have seen people ask over and over again the same questions about oil and oil changes. But, I still think he is being a little bit of a dick about it.

Honestly, I dont have the experience mr grumpy has, but I can tell you that an oil change is recommended on most wr250's at 500km. Thats a lot of hours. thats 20-30 hours of use. But, that being said. The healthy hour limit should be more about 10 to 15 hours. Every 3 rides you should change the oil. (unless you're doing a huge poker run or race. )

Change the oil filter every other ride. You should never HAVE to change the filter every ride. Ever.

I speak from experience...my wr engine is 10 years old. 10 years old, all stock, and is FLAWLESS. Granted I baby it and have only reached rev limiter once.

Maybe he would be more inclined if you gave him a cookie :bonk:

I run Rotella T, change every 5-10 hours depending on how I've been riding. I also clean my re-usable Scott's stainless steel oil filter every time I change the oil.

Maybe he would be more inclined if you gave him a cookie :bonk:

I run Rotella T, change every 5-10 hours depending on how I've been riding. I also clean my re-usable Scott's stainless steel oil filter every time I change the oil.

lol maybe if i send him a free michi sand 4 rear tire but ya know i dont think he wants it