Sign in to follow this  

Anyone know anything about this circular "3x3" mod in the side cover?

I stumbled across this picture on another forum, and was wondering if this was a different version of the "3x3" mod? Anyone know if this would be the same equivalent air flow as the normal square "3x3" mod done underneath the seat? I ride my bike strictly on the street so water and other factors wouldn't be an issue for me.

Thanks! :bonk:

100_0693_edited.jpg

Edited by atsownz

Jetting can be effected by the air flowing around your legs. At highway speeds it will change as you move your legs. Better to get your intake from an area thats not affected so much, like under the seat.

Jetting can be effected by the air flowing around your legs. At highway speeds it will change as you move your legs. Better to get your intake from an area thats not affected so much, like under the seat.

Ah! Didn't think of that! Thanks!

I can't see any picture, but if it's truly a circular opening it wouldn't have the same area as the 3x3 square anyway (almost 2 sq. inches less). Best to stay with known methods.

I can't see any picture, but if it's truly a circular opening it wouldn't have the same area as the 3x3 square anyway (almost 2 sq. inches less). Best to stay with known methods.

Don't know why the picture wasn't showing up, but fixed it now.

Ok ..I must keep my legs apart for more air..lol..

garage.jpg

Some highly developed engines can benefit from more air,otherwise 3x3 is sufficient for most..

garage.jpg

Some highly developed engines can benefit from more air,otherwise 3x3 is sufficient for most..

Lol. We don't need to know about how wide you keep your legs mate!

For a normal engine, the 3x3 is good, but who came up with the 'bigger engine' side hole equation?

Air filter is looking a bit dry there Craigo.

I have a bunch of wires/ little box thing right above the 3x3 hole, could this block enough air to change something (lean?)? She still seems to run fine throughout the throttle range but there is quite a bit of wiring covering the hole now...Couldn't really find a better location (heated grips) for the wires

garage.jpg

Well Craigo, You're just a little bit different. LOL.

I prefer the stock look for my monster. I cut out the other side then opened up the hole around the shock reservoir to accomplish the same thing.

DSCN1698.jpgDSCN1700.jpg

• Like 1

Lol. We don't need to know about how wide you keep your legs mate!

For a normal engine, the 3x3 is good, but who came up with the 'bigger engine' side hole equation?

The Dyno told me. :lol: .Gave us a bit more top end with more air..... :bonk::lol:

Well Craigo, You're just a little bit different. LOL.

I prefer the stock look for my monster. I cut out the other side then opened up the hole around the shock reservoir to accomplish the same thing.

DSCN1698.jpgDSCN1700.jpg

Nice work there James...To be honest, I didn't even think of that...It Looks much better for water repelling.. :bonk:

Edited by craigodrz400sm

I just drilled 4 holes with a 1-1/2" hole saw on the right side of the air box as well as opening up the top as much as I could.