Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

XT500D Finally out of storage

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have a XT500D that I purchased in 1978/9 from a Yamaha dealership after the first owner decided the bike was "too much" for him. I rode it very little (has only about 3,400 miles) and has sat in storage for the last 13 years. It ran when it was put up - I hope it won't take to much to get it going. Any advice? I didn't realize the thumpers had such a strong following. It was a great bike, and now that I go camping more, seems like a good trail choice. Thanks for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical stuff, oil, plug, filters, check every crack and crevice for bugs (don't want to have your oil breather tube filled with spider webs), lube the chain. I personally would replace the tires and tubes as well as all the fuel hoses. If there's old gas in the tank, drain it. Clean and inspect the carb, after 13 years, it'll need a rebuild. Check the valve lash, spokes. Probably a good idea to check/lube all the important fasteners, like swing arm bolts.

Reassemble, add gas and kick it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:bonk: Get advice up there.

My #1 rule - DO NOT KICK IT OVER UNTIL ALL THE ABOVE IT DONE. All you need is 1 kick to pull the crap from the carb into the chamber and ruin pistion, cylinder, valves, etc.

For future reference to all, when storing a bike always remove the kick start lever. For some reason everyone favorite thing to do is kick over a bike that has been sitting for years. It makes me sad :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My own '77 XT500 had 660 miles on it when I bought it almost 3 years ago and had sat in a basement since '81. The first thing I did was remove the plug and "fog" the cylinder with oil. Cleaned the bike thoroughly, then started the rehab. Drained the oil, refilled with fresh. Cleaned the tank and petcock, rebuilt the carburetor. Cleaned the airfilter. Cleaned the points, set the gap and static timing. Adjusted the valves. Installed a new battery. After about a dozen kicks it finally came to life, sounded great. Adjusted the timing chain and set the timing with a strobe. New tires, tubes, chain and grips came next. Ran it about 100 miles and changed the oil again.

It's been my primary dual-sport mount since, I now have over 8k miles on it. Rarely takes more than two kicks to start it cold or hot, averages 60 mpg and has been very reliable.

Memorial_Day_2011_008.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...