Sign in to follow this  

Synthetic, Blended, or Conventional Oil in a XL600R

I realize this is probably beating a dead horse, if you search for oil it makes a war and peace novel look as thick as a first grade book. Let's say you have an 83 XL600R with 20,000 on the clock roughly 300 miles ago you tore the engine down completely and went through it. While it was apart you went ahead and replaced all the seals, O-rings, and gaskets. You also replaced the piston rings, connecting rod, wrist pin, and timing chain. Now for the question would you continue to use conventional motorcycle oil or switch to synthetic motorcycle oil and or a blend? I seem to have read that switching to synthetic oil could cause seals to start leaking. :bonk:

What are your opinions??? :lol:

Mark

Edited by kmequint

Rotella is good, and cheap. Old XL's aren't too picky, just don't get oil with friction modifiers it might poison your clutch.

O gads!!!! Not another oil thread. :lol: :lol: Ok,,,i support the syn oils religion in all my bikes.5-30 for winter 15-50 for summer. simple ....and that's all i have to say about that... :bonk:

I realize this is probably beating a dead horse, if you search for oil it makes a war and peace novel look as thick as a first grade book. Let's say you have an 83 XL600R with 20,000 on the clock roughly 300 miles ago you tore the engine down completely and went through it. While it was apart you went ahead and replaced all the seals, O-rings, and gaskets. You also replaced the piston rings, connecting rod, wrist pin, and timing chain. Now for the question would you continue to use conventional motorcycle oil or switch to synthetic motorcycle oil and or a blend? I seem to have read that switching to synthetic oil could cause seals to start leaking. :bonk:

What are your opinions??? :lol:

Mark

ive switched every bike ive owned over to full synthetic with no seal issues at all,all of them being 80s bikes, so myth busted in my opinion, although my buddy is a car mechanic and he wont ever put synthetic into a car thats used to conventional because he got a leaking gasket once because of it, but if your gaskets and seals are going to leak i would think its about time to replace them. but with gaskets and seals as new as yours i dont think it will be an issue at all

Rotella is good, and cheap. Old XL's aren't too picky, just don't get oil with friction modifiers it might poison your clutch.

Another vote for this. At $12 a gallon +/- and effective, why use anything else?

The "friction modifiers" means "energy conserving" or something similar branded on the round seal on the back of the bottle/bucket. It's good for your cylinder, not good for your clutch.

i used to run 10w40 mobil 1 full synthetic now i run run rotella full synthetic now 5w 40 i spend half as much and it feels the same

20/50 Dino..38 years of preferably Shell,,None of that,,your choice..Always liked the colour of a new vat of Shell 20/50,,a nice yellow/green..Never mind the rest of its properties.

Edited by Horri