Sign in to follow this  

I'm begging for your help with this 2001 FCR! Hanging idle!

I'm at my wits end and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I have 2001 "E" model with the FCR carb. I just bought this bike a few weeks ago and immediately began working on it. I replaced the jets and needle with those recommended by Eddie (OCEMN, 158 Main, 45 Pilot). Also did the Eddie mod. Replaced the fuel screw with an aftermarket easy adjustable one. Then later put the original fuel screw back in. The bike has such an extremely high idle that hangs there. I've been chasing this for weeks. Fuel screw was set initially at 2 turns out. Turning it has almost zero effect. I had a 45 pilot jet in there (new) and replaced it with a 48 with no change whatsoever. I removed the slide today and replaced the gasket there and confirmed that the slide was not upside down by researching previous posts. The CE was removed by PO and the ports were capped off. The caps were brittle and torn so I removed them and tied the ports together with a piece of hose. I've had the carb off and apart 4 times. Nothing I have done makes any difference at all. I can turn the idle all the way down and the bike continues to run. It behaves as if there is a major vacuum leak, but from where? These are the things I have confirmed:

1. New pilot jet

2. New slide gasket

3. Fuel screw has spring, washers and o-ring intact

4. CE ports are connected with a new piece of hose

5. Intake manifold bolt hole sealed properly

6. Slide is in right side up (square edge facing down)

PLEASE, WHAT AM I MISSING??!!IMG_2832.jpgIMG_2833.jpgIMG_2835.jpg

Edited by q2quest

I can see from the pix that the 90 air jet is still in the nipple - good. What size air jet is in the front (air cleaner side) of the carb? Main air jet is in the center -200. Pilot air jet is on the left - 60? or somethng else?

With the carb off, set the slide height. About .020" gap under the side is all that is needed for proper idle.

Since you have no history on this carb - if it has ever been immersed in carb cleaner it may be done for. There are rubber seals in the permanently assembled carb body joints that are ruined by immersion carb cleaners. Take the carb off, remove the bow, take a sniff - does it smell like carb cleaner?

Holy Cow! There are rubber gaskets that are not replaceable? I'll have to look at the pilot air jet for the size. I got disgusted and had to stop working on it. I must amit that I did not know about setting the slide height. I did not know that was adjustable. How does one set that? Thanks. -Paul

Ok, I am embarrassed. I took another look and realized the throttle cable didn't have enough slack. I feel like a rookie. :bonk:

Holy Cow! There are rubber gaskets that are not replaceable? I'll have to look at the pilot air jet for the size. I got disgusted and had to stop working on it. I must amit that I did not know about setting the slide height. I did not know that was adjustable. How does one set that? Thanks. -Paul

Actually, I'm hoping somebody answers this. Mine (IIRC) is considerably larger than the .020" Nobel specified.

Why on earth are these gaskets not available? Are these tiny gaskets the only thing seperating a very workable carburetor from a door stop? How many FCRs are discarded because these 50 cent gaskets can't be obtained? I feel like each day I get just a little more piece to the FCR puzzle. Noble is the first person I have seen to mention setting the slide height. Nowhere in any of the post I have I read have I seen this. Most others have said to make sure the slide goes all the way down. The slide height should fall wherever it does when the idle RPM is properly set, no? -Paul

Edited by q2quest

Most others have said to make sure the slide goes all the way down. The slide height should fall wherever it does when the idle RPM is properly set, no? -Paul

no when there is a problem with the carb you end up with the slide haight artificially high and this is what induces the hanging idle. along with the mid body gasket issues the carb bodys on old fcr wear out as well where the slide and rollers ride.

So, the slide is going all the way down and the hanging idle situation has been resolved. The issue is still, though, that I'm running out of turns on the fuel screw and it looks like I'm going to need a 50 pilot jet, which seems to indicate something else is wrong with the carb. I haven't read anywhere else where any stock DRZ has required such a fat pilot jet to idle properly. I want to seperate the body of the carb and inspect those gaskets but I'm scared. The bike runs ok now, but not great. If I take the carb apart I'm afraid it won't run at all.

What is the bike doing now that makes you think you need a bigger pilot jet?

What is the bike doing now that makes you think you need a bigger pilot jet?

With the idle at the lowest possible setting, I slowly turn the fuel screw out and the idle begins to increase. The idle speed continues to slowly increase until I am out about 4 turns out and at that point I can keep turning it until it is loose and ready to fall out. The bike is still idling and It seems like it wants more.

its likely a worn carb body and or mid gasket issue.

if a 50 pilot cures it,so be it.

for an experiment pinch the CE bypass hose and see if you gain control over the pilot ciruit. if so cap the nipples and move on.

you didnt remove pilot air jet did you?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. The pilot air jet is in place and it's a 100. I will experiment with the CE hose like you suggested and 50 pilot jets are on the way. The slide and carb internals do not appear worn at all. The slide gasket I just installed was done correctly, but didn't seem to make a difference. Thanks again! -Paul

I don't know for sure if this applies but the statement below is copied from the link to the JD gasket.

"Note: Gaskets will not fit FCR-MX carburetor versions with a removable intake flange."

I am traveling and not able to reply every day.

OK. 100 pilot air jet - you can not use a hose to connect the 2 nipples on the side of the carb. You have to cap both nipples.

Original air jet is a 60. Using the hose you employ both the 60 and the 90 which works OK. When the 60 is replaced with a 100 you have to seal off the 90 jet located in the side nipple. You are right in the assumption that the 45 or 48 pilot fuel jet is too small but that is in relation to the 100+90 air jets. Using just the 100 air jet, 45 or 48 pilot fuel jet will be great.

At one time SUDCO did have the internal rubber seals for the 39mm FCR slant body. I do not know if they still do. But even if you can get the rubber seals, it is not as easy as simply replacing them. The body is bonded together with epoxy. It might come apart, it might break, it has to be resealed with epoxy.

I am traveling and not able to reply every day.

OK. 100 pilot air jet - you can not use a hose to connect the 2 nipples on the side of the carb. You have to cap both nipples.

Original air jet is a 60. Using the hose you employ both the 60 and the 90 which works OK. When the 60 is replaced with a 100 you have to seal off the 90 jet located in the side nipple. You are right in the assumption that the 45 or 48 pilot fuel jet is too small but that is in relation to the 100+90 air jets. Using just the 100 air jet, 45 or 48 pilot fuel jet will be great.

Holy sweet mother of God. Thank you. I understand now. The guy I bought the bike from had no information about the bike or previous owner so this has been a real treasure hunt. Thanks so much for all the replies. God bless Thumpertalk!

Why on earth are these gaskets not available? Are these tiny gaskets the only thing seperating a very workable carburetor from a door stop? How many FCRs are discarded because these 50 cent gaskets can't be obtained?

From someone who just soaked his Slant body in Carburetor Cleaner, I agree with these statements. Glad you got it resolved, and that it didn't involve a previous owner's mistake in cleaning the carb.