Sign in to follow this  

Anybody use an '08 linkage on an '06 bike?

Hey I took my linkage apart to grease it and the bearing that the link connects to on the swingarm( I think it's called the relay arm) was seized up and rusted together. The rest look ok, just dirty/old grease. I read that they changed the linkage ratio on the '08 and wondered if there was any benefit to using it on an '06. I can pick up the entire assembly off of Ebay for less than the cost to replace the bearing(this is of course if the Ebay one contains good repackable bearings and aren't rusted like mine). Thanks.

Well I dropped the hammer and just bought the whole '08 assembly off Ebay. Seller said it has no damage and everything moves smooth and free so hopefully a regreasing and I'm good to go. From what I read they revised the linkage in '08 to be softer in the initial part of the stroke but stiffer in the last part. The '07 and '08 have a 1.5mm(0.059") longer shock. The Yamaha part# for the relay arm and link are the same for the '06 250f and the '06 and '07 450f. The '07 450f has a 1.5mm longer shock as well so I think it should go together fine. From searching someone in the 450 forum mentioned needing a stiffer spring for the '08 linkage but the '06 and '08 450f had the same spring rate of 5.5kg/mm so I think I'll be ok. The 250f and 450f share the same part#'s for '08 for the relay arm and link. Honestly at my skill level I may not notice any difference good or bad. I'll post up my results once it's all back together. My next task is getting the swingarm bolt out. It's seems to be stuck.

Well I thought I'd give an update on the linkage. My ebay linkage was just as described so I cleaned and repacked the bearings and ended up having to buy new swingarm bearings So I got it all back together. The linkage went together prefect with the '06 shock and swingarm. I got to ride today but only on the little flat/corner track by the house. Seemed to work just fine but I can't say I could tell any difference as it had been awhile since I got to ride. Hope to get to the MX track next weekend. Maybe I'll notice something there. At this point I'd say if a person has an '06 and is looking for a linkage assembly the '06 thru '08 will work fine.

let me know how it goes at the track, this is interesting to me. might be able to allow the rear suspension to absorb the acceleration bumps, but with the shorter shock it might hamper it. thanks for your updates

let me know how it goes at the track, this is interesting to me. might be able to allow the rear suspension to absorb the acceleration bumps, but with the shorter shock it might hamper it. thanks for your updates

I did get to go to the track last weekend but it rained the night before and it ended up being a muddy mess. I can't say with the conditions I could tell a difference. Maybe when I get to ride in good track conditions I can get a better feel for it.