Sign in to follow this  

Post Your Utility Trailer Set Up

I just bought and put together a Haul Master (Harbor Freight) 4x8 folding trailer. Right now it only has a plywood deck on it. I want to build wall/sides for it and wanted to see what everyones setup looks like for ideas. I am going to be hauling two bikes with it so I want to mount some eye bolts on the outside of the trailer so I have a better angle for tie downs. So my walls will have to have a space between the wall boards for the tie downs to feed through. So if you have a utility trailer please post up your setup ideas will be appreciated.

This is what it looks like all folded up

HFUtilityTrailer-3.jpg

I just picked me up a 4x8 utility trailer and I am getting ready to work on it, I'll try to post you some pics this weekend.

Will post some when I get to the house.

Mine has a 5/4 (five quarter) board PT deck w/ the tire holders they sell at cycle gear. Still have more stuff to do to it but it works well.

I have the same exact trailer. Weld the joints if you can. Put a single piece of treated 4x8 ply wood. The trailer is unstable and to flexable if you don't. Use conduit for all electrical wires. Get a spare tire. Greese bearings at least once a year. Don't overtighten bearings, a slight wobble is normal. When the wheel bearings heat up they expand. Consider upgrading to a 2" hitch receiver as the 1 7/8" is not as common. Get a wheel chock. I used 2x4 for my sides, 3 rails about 24" high. I don't have a back tailgate or ramp on it yet. I"m thinking about using a tailgate cargo net like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTO-GATE-NYLON-KTM-LOGO-TAILGATE-CARGO-NET-/190609265198?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6132922e

I'll post some pics later

I finally got the trailer finished and got time to take some pictures. I got a killer deal on this 4x8 trailer and was super pumped. I didn't do much to it besides paint it and make a custom wheel chock and gas can holder. I made the wheel chock out of some steel pieces and had them welded together then I bolted them to the front trailer rail. I had to make it because I couldn't figure out any other way to secure the front wheel because with the mesh floor I couldn't bolt down a wheel chock. Then for the gas can holder I just got an old crate and used to heavy duty zip ties to strap it down. I highly recommend rider cargo tie downs from rocky mountain. They are super strong. I might have to rig something up so that I can strap down the rear wheel so that there is no chance of it bouncing around. I have fold up ramps so I just throw them in the trunk along with all my other stuff like the gear bag and stand. Hope this helps.

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

Nice set-up. How much would you say the trailer ways, 200lbs?

Probably around 200 lbs. I'm not really sure though. I know its super light because I can pull it around the yard myself.

Zip-ties on a fuel can is fireball waiting to happen. I wouldn't want to be behind you when it does. Other than that, good job on the trailer and homemade chock.

I've never heard of a zip tie starting a fire? They are holding the crate down not the can. Explain please.

Its not that the ties themselves directly cause the fire, but the UV from direct sunlight will eventually make them brittle just like seat covers or other platic/latex parts of a bike. Considering the weight of a fuel can and the jostling around on a trailer, its only a matter of time before the ties fail and your fuel can becomes a rolling bomb down the freeway. Bolting down the crate would be a better option, or using a small set of tie-downs. Then you can bungee your fuel can down to the crate.