Sign in to follow this  

bought '96 300 EXC yesterday, a few Qs

I was told by Amsoil that whatever they indicate their 2 stroke oil can be mixed at, will never harm the motor. So 50:1 Amsoil is what I have. They say mfrers rate the mix based on the worst oil, such as a 32:1 mix.

So what types of 2-stroke oils do you use, and at what mix? i was going to mix 50:1 Amsoil.

Do I need premium, or is regular gas okay?

Bought bike from 6' 4" guy. My son is riding and he's 5' 8". How can I get the overall seat height lower?

Is recommended BR8EG plug okay?

I haven't worked on a 2 stroke for awhile. I believe my last one had a Boyesen reed valve. My cousin told me this bike most likely uses a power valve instead, and it needs to be kept clean. What is involved to check & maintain that?

Seems a bit hard to find 130/80-18 tire options. Anyone know a good, inexpensive tire seller?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Amsoil is excellent oil and 50 to 1 is fine. you will need to set the sag and check that the springs are the rght ones for your sons weight ( ktms are real sensitive to correct sag. at 5'8" he should fit fine on the bike without lowering farther than stock sag setting for his weight. br8 plug is correct for that bike as i recall ( been years sinc i had my 96 300). LOL, the 300 has both a reed valve and a power valve ( that can be adjusted to move the power curve/hit earlier or later). you do not need to stay with 130/80/18 tire, look for the more common 120 aspect ones. premium gas is what you want with all dirtbikes. hope all this helps. here is a picture of the head i just took off ( zero cleaning) after 150 or more hours using only amsoil dominator oil.

IMG_0277.jpg

Joe

thanks. do you know what size 120 would be roughly the same as the stock tire? I'm guessing I should try to keep the same width & height?? I see tires around $65-70 in my size, but limited choices.

okay, so I have a reed and a power valve. I guess it's time for me to hunt for a manual and do sum lernin' !! Anyone ever post manuals? I've shared my '07 450 SX-F manual with a few but i don't post it.

We had a Suzuki 80 smoker quad years ago. I used cheaper 2 stroke and it was sooty, black...ugly after a short time. I went to a synthetic and it was definitely way better & cleaner. I'm not surprised to see your pic. That's awesome. I use the cheap 2-stroke as diesel fuel additive now.

Rocky mountain atv/mc has a great feature where you can filter your parts search by the bike you have. You can also check stock specs for sprockets, chain, tire size, etc.

i shop rmatv all the time. they changed the site recently and a bit more challenging to navigate. the machine filter part seems harder to do. they couldn't provide any tire options either, other than the stock size.

Edited by canucklehead2004