Sign in to follow this  

Is my clutch center shot? (Picture)

So... I'm replacing my clutch basket because the bushings went out. I should be getting the new basket tomorrow so I was prepping for reassembly and cleaning all the parts and found the back side of the clutch center to be in a alarming state.

It appears to be full of "superficial" cracks (hairline) and some bubbling in the metal on the outer ring (bubbling at about 10 o'clock near the edge). I'm pretty new to motorcycle clutch workings but this does not look good at all.

Does this need to be replaced or is this common? If it's not common, what would cause this? I'm pretty sure the bushings went out due to high temps what my what pump went out, Did the excessive heat cause this damage to the clutch center? Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first bike clutch I've worked on.

IMG_0702.jpg

Edited by 1sandiegan

id like to see a pic showing the workin side..

Edited by MELK-MAN

fwiw if it were mine id run it.. just the very beginnings of groving but doubt you can even feel them, and the clutch surface looks perfect. I just looked at a spare center hub i have and those casting marks on the back side appear normal.

Edited by MELK-MAN

That inner hub is fine. The crack like looking things are normal and you will find them on many oem parts from the casting process they use. The basket takes the beating and needs to be replaced before the inner hub.