Sign in to follow this  

85 xr80r lower clutch cable bracket

Please help. I recently bought an 85 xr80r that came in boxes. I have the bike all up and running but I'm missing the lower clutch cable bracket. Not sure what it looks like or where to find one. Not even sure where it mounts. If someone could help I would really appreciate it. If someone could post a clear pic of the mount that would help tremendously. Also the original crankcase was cracked so I purchased a used motor from eBay. Motor needed topend work but overall in great shape. The only difference is the kickstart shaft is shorter on the eBay motor so it hits the foot peg bolts. Anyone ever ran into this.

Not sure how much help this will be. Its a picture of the lower end of the clutch cable on my son's 86 XR 80R. It should be the same as your 85.

IMG_4817.jpg

Hey I appreciate the pic. Just can't quite see the bracket that is holding the cable. Maybe a pic from the other side. Again thanks so much for getting the pic out so quick.

Shoone I shoud have a clutch cable perch if you need one just pm your address and I'll throw it in the mail for ya. As for the kick start hitting the peg, I've ran into that before and I believe you have a pre-84 engine. I think all of the XL shafts are shorter so check your gears and make sure you have 5 speed and not a 4. I just moved the kick start as far out as the center pinch bolt would allow and ground the two peg bolts down until they didn't snag the kick start shaft and it worked great.

Hey thanks for all the help. I'm new to this so how do I pm somebody.

Damn newb, way to make us spoon feed it to you....geeeeez!

LOL, JK.

To send a pm, you can click on the name (displayed at the top of the post they made) of the member you want to pm. This will bring up the member's profile. Then click on send message. You should be able to figure it out from there.

Edited by zlathim

I feel retarded. Maybe I need to be spoonfed. I did just had a birthday. Guess I'm just getting old. I have a lower bracket on the way. Now its a waiting game. I also need some head work done anyone know of someone who can do this work. I have the bike running pretty good but can't lower the idle down. Runs great with a higher idle. Not exactly sure where to set the air fuel needle. Again I appreciate all of you guys out there.

It's all good. I was just giving you a hard time...

Your carb should look like this when viewed from the right side of the bike:

IMG_4819.jpg

The larger screw, more or less centered on the carb is the idle speed adjustment. It physically raises or lowers the slide in the carb to increase or decrease the idle speed. Turning the screw in raises the idle rpm, out decreases idle rpm. After turning the screw, it usually takes a blip of the throttle to stabilize the increase or decrease in rpms.

The smaller looking screw adjuster toward the left most edge of the carb adjusts the air/fuel mixture at idle. Screw it in to lean the idle mixture, and screw it out to richen the idle mixture.

TO ADJUST THE CARB:

I usually start by adjusting the idle speed down as far as it will go and still allow the bike to idle. Then I adjust the fuel mixture screw to obtain the best idle at that low idle speed setting. I do this by turning the screw in (leaning the mixture) until the bike starts to stumble or dies. Then I screw it out (richening the mixture) until it starts to stumble or dies. Take notice of how many turns from one extreme to the other and then split the difference and adjust the mixture screw halfway in between. After I feel like I have it adjusted to where the bike idles smoothly, I increase the idle speed a little bit so it idles along nicely. The only reason to slow the idle speed in the first place is so that you will be able to tell when the mixture adjustment is having an affect on the idle. If the bike is idling too fast while you are trying to adjust the mixture screw, you won't notice the slight difference in the way it runs as you make the adjustments.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say here, sometimes these things sound better in my mind than they come out in text. Also, other people may have different or better methods, this is just the way I do it. Hope this helps.

Edited by zlathim

^^ Good advice on setting up the carb. Shoone, if the bike will not idle down low and dies if you don't keep the idle screw turned way in pull your carb off and clean your pilot/idle jet. There are tiny holes that can easily become clogged and that will make your bike idle irratic in a lot of cases. Also check for small air leaks around the carb intake. Take a can of starter fluid and lightly spray around the intake while the bike is running. If the engine surges then you have a small leak which can also keep the bike from running smoothly. I hope this helps. :bonk:

• Like 1

^^ Good advice on setting up the carb. Shoone, if the bike will not idle down low and dies if you don't keep the idle screw turned way in pull your carb off and clean your pilot/idle jet. There are tiny holes that can easily become clogged and that will make your bike idle irratic in a lot of cases. Also check for small air leaks around the carb intake. Take a can of starter fluid and lightly spray around the intake while the bike is running. If the engine surges then you have a small leak which can also keep the bike from running smoothly. I hope this helps. :bonk:

Excellent points as well. Actually, the OP should check all this stuff out before attempting to make the adjustment that I wrote about.

• Like 1