Sign in to follow this  

Updating an 03 RM250...

Well I know the 04+ are better bikes but I have a chance at an 03 thats been sitting for a couple of years. It needs plastics and a rear tire. My question is: can I swap the 04 showas on the 03? The motor can be altered quite easily but what else does it take to make an 03 just as good as the 04+? I really shouldnt have sold my 07 :bonk:

Not sure about the motor but the '01 to '03 RM250's used 46mm Kayaba's while the '04 RM250's used 47mm Showas. So this swap would only work if you got the triple clamps too. Personally, I would just send them out and have them valved and sprung for you and your ability (same with the shock).

I agree, you never should have sold your '07, but what's done is done so fix what you have ~ and in all honesty the '03 really was (and is) a good bike.

Yeah I def miss the 07, my 03 cr250 isnt too bad with a pwk carb, crf250 suspension but I do still miss the zuk. My buddy has the 03 and its been sitting for a while, needs some tlc but looks to be a good bike. Im just wondering, would it be possible to put the newer forks, clamps, shock and linkage on the 03? Is it even physically possible, wonder if anyone has done it?

Ok, Ziggy is right, you will need the triple trees to make the swap to showa on the forks. The rear shock will bolt right on with no modification to the linkage, I know, I have an 03 with a showa rear shock. I really have no beef with the KYB forks and shocks, the only reason I changed the rear was that my shock was trashed when I go this bike. I have two 03 RM250s and the good bike still has the KYB bouncers on it and I have not intentions of changing that bike.

Thanks for the reply Padgett, do you ride MX or trails? Although its tough to find newer forks, its good to know that it is possible. I guess just running the newer suspension/clamps would put me righ there with a newer RM, especially if I played with the motor, I will have to really think about this.

My bunch rides MX. You can find some deals on e-bay, just wait for the right price. I got my showa rear shock for $20 plus shipping. I have seen 04 up showa forks for $100 for the pair at times and then some are priced up above $400. So just hold out until a set shows up for a fair or steal price.

Just an fyi, I saw a new FMF Factory Fatty pipe on ebay really cheap for your bike if you're looking for one.

Edited by MotoXRyne