Sign in to follow this  

Ktm has been sitting for a while, new issue

I have a 2003 351rfs bike that I let sit for a year or so, no gas in carb or tank, poured some fresh gas in her today and it started after 3-4 kicks with choke on, warmed up and idled pretty good for sitting. bogs when i snap the throttle, but rips like normal when i ease into it, no problems starting really just the one low end issue, what do i have to do to get this thing goin?

here's the beasthttp://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/weshorton89/num5orangenblack-1.jpg

Edited by ktm351weshorton

I have a 2003 351rfs bike that I let sit for a year or so, no gas in carb or tank, poured some fresh gas in her today and it started after 3-4 kicks with choke on, warmed up and idled pretty good for sitting. bogs when i snap the throttle, but rips like normal when i ease into it, no problems starting really just the one low end issue, what do i have to do to get this thing goin?

here's the beasthttp://i129.photobuc...ngenblack-1.jpg

Sounds like your accelerator pump is not working. Look into the back of the carb and whack the throttle a couple times to see if it's squirting, if not the pump may be gummed up etc from sitting and need to be dissembled/cleaned.

Hodakaguy

• Like 1

Sounds like your accelerator pump is not working. Look into the back of the carb and whack the throttle a couple times to see if it's squirting, if not the pump may be gummed up etc from sitting and need to be dissembled/cleaned.

Hodakaguy

took it appart, squirts for about 2 seconds, just when on the bike i can hold my finger against the pump actuator and the thing wont bog, otherwise it has a slight bog, guess i'll be putting a new diaphram and spring etc in it?

Hey man where in tennessee are you?

seems like your on the right path to figuring it out.

Got new acc pump diaphragm, installed and set it, checked float level, plug was in good shape, now fouled

jets

45 pilot

165 RD

needle is OBDTP with clip on middle notch

fuel screw is 2 turns out, where it was before

93octane pump gas

plug NGK DCPR8E

starts up just fine cold or hot no choke needed, top end is a little gargly(bogs/backfires slightly at WOT)

plug was wet and black what to adjust next? fuel screw or needle? new/clean plug? change main jet? change fuel?

the issue is just odd to me as i didnt have any trouble with bog on top end before it sat, makes great power down low still just wont run on the top end like it used to, low to mid rips harder than ever though.... hmmm i appreciate everybody's thoughts and suggestions, i will continue reading until i get it figured out

You have got to VERIFY you apump system is working correctly>

- you want no more than 1 sec of squirt. If it is longer than that, your leak jet is to small (too much fuel), the linkage is binding, or your linkage spring is way to soft (which is how it comes stock)

- you want the squirt to shoot 4 ft, all the way into the head

- the squirt can never dribble, or sputter. if it does, the nozzle is clogged

- the squirt can never hit the slide. If it does, you need to turn the linkage adjustment screw clockwise until it stopps hitting.

You have got to VERIFY you apump system is working correctly>

- you want no more than 1 sec of squirt. If it is longer than that, your leak jet is to small (too much fuel), the linkage is binding, or your linkage spring is way to soft (which is how it comes stock)

- you want the squirt to shoot 4 ft, all the way into the head

- the squirt can never dribble, or sputter. if it does, the nozzle is clogged

- the squirt can never hit the slide. If it does, you need to turn the linkage adjustment screw clockwise until it stopps hitting.

Been verrified, i dont have a leakjet float bowl, and its about a second and a half or so, squirt is solid, squirt doesnt hit slide, to my amazement, the bike already had the honda diaphragm in it when i got it a few years ago, just put a new one in it and the low end bog is gone, might have to figure something out for the fouling plug on top end, i'm gonna put it back together and go run it in the open field at the farm here this afternoon and see what she does, my theory is that the back yard might not be big enough and twist after twist of the throttle with the squirt might have overfueled it and not allowed it to burn it all

Accelerator pump...............take her apart an clean it up. Should run good as new when you are done.