Sign in to follow this  

Lower / Upper oil level.

Hello.

I have a question about the oil indicator. More specific about the Low and High level.

How many ml are from Low to High ?

In other words, and as a small example. Let's assume when i change oil i set the oil level to "High" .

If my reading after some time is to Low, how many ml does this difference correspont to ?

It's pretty important to know, as it is required when someone needs to add some more oil in the engine.

We are talking about an XR400.

There are two places to check the oil on a 400.One is the bottom crankcase bolt witch in manuel is reffered to as the lower oil check.

The other is the dipstick.

The manuel says to warm it up at idel speed for 5 min. before you check it. Ive found about 7 or 8 min is about right if its real cold outside.

The lower bolt should be level with the bottom of the threads.

On mine if its warmed up and reads low on the dipstick, I add about a 10th of quart and do the whole warm up thing again.

There are two places to check the oil on a 400.One is the bottom crankcase bolt witch in manuel is reffered to as the lower oil check.

The other is the dipstick.

The manuel says to warm it up at idel speed for 5 min. before you check it. Ive found about 7 or 8 min is about right if its real cold outside.

The lower bolt should be level with the bottom of the threads.

On mine if its warmed up and reads low on the dipstick, I add about a 10th of quart and do the whole warm up thing again.

True, this is how you check for the oil level.

The question is to how many ml corespont those levels ? If i see the mark on the lower level for example how much oil do i need to add ?

Last time i saw my bike needing about 300ml on 500miles . Now after 300 miles (after adding oil again) i see the levels again on "Low".

Thats why i would like to know to what numbers the levels corespond, so that i wont put too much oil in there.

I tried on mine and its hard to get exact measurement. I got between 400&500 cc, but my container dont have ml. Just cc, &oz.

Hope this helps but dont hold me hostage.

<p>With mine, after i do an oil change it always reads about 2 centimetres below the full mark on the dipstick, i add oil to it when it gets down to about 2 centimetres above the low mark and 100mls will bring it back up to 2 centimetres below the full mark again.</p>

<p>So looking at the dipstick i'd say the difference between the top and bottom levels would be about 350 mls give or take.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>