xr250 gearing

Hey guys was just wondering about gearing on a xr250? to start off with i was trail riding on the weekend and we hit alot of single trails which was fine but when it came to some steep hill climbs the bike did strugle a bit and not alowing me to keep momentum so i need a gearing thats good until maybe 60 kph or 37 mph? i currently have a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and a 50 on the rear so what might be the go?

Hey guys was just wondering about gearing on a xr250? to start off with i was trail riding on the weekend and we hit alot of single trails which was fine but when it came to some steep hill climbs the bike did strugle a bit and not alowing me to keep momentum so i need a gearing thats good until maybe 60 kph or 37 mph? i currently have a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and a 50 on the rear so what might be the go?

i run a 13 f 53 r and i could skip using first gear on the flats.

Maybe look into another area to help get you up the hills.....

Maybe a high fow UNI air filter, Carb re-jet, Exhaust de-restricting etc, See if you can get some more performance out of the motor rather than changing gearing which you will regret if you ever want to go on a long ride, Whats the point of having 2 lower gears (1st & 2nd) that you pretty much dont use?

What mods have been done to the motor so far or is it stock?

oh yer thats probably not a bad idea! but the engine is completely stock with no mods exept the exhaust baffle has been cut out oh yer its still a stock muffler to! so what can i maybe do for the exhuast coz i can make the hole at the end bigger of the baffle? but willing to try some stuff anyway

i went to the motorbike shop and they said jetting the carby isnt worth it with a stock exhaust and told me to get a better exhaust but i think they are just trying to make a sale outta me so what might you guys have to say coz the engine bogs down for a second when i twist the throttle quick and not interested in buying a new exhaust and think re jetting will do something

Well firstly you need to find out what jets are inside the carb then go from there, Stock jets would possibly be making it run fairly lean which may be part of the the bogging problem, A larger pilot jet should help there, A larger main jet will help higher up in the revs

I would check your airfilter and maybe buy a UNI filter or similar if it is due for a filter, You can also remove the stock aifilter cage which can restrict flow, Also if it has not already been done? You can remove the rubber snorkel under your seat on top of the airbox

For the amount of money you would spend on the exhaust I dont think you will gain much compared to your modified stock muffler, You can also clean up the welds on the stock header pipe where they slide into the head which will help the flow slightly, Doesnt take much to remove the header pipe and re-fit

You wont be wheelstanding in top gear with these simple mods but you may find it will get you up the hills much easier without changing gearing/sprockets

Edited by XR250INOZ