Sign in to follow this  

gear ratio

I have a 2004 kdx200 with a stock gear ratio. I live in VA with mostly single track trails. most of the time I cant get out of second gear. any recomendations on which sprocket size to change to? I realize that I am going to lose some top end but where I live and ride I dont think that I am going to miss it.

2old2mx....If I recall correctly the stock gearing is 13 tooth front sprocket and 47 tooth rear sprocket (3.62 ratio). I went with a 50 tooth rear sprocket on my KDX200 to gear it a bit lower (3.85 ratio). If you go this route you will need a 110 link chain (stock is 108 link).

You can also go to a 12 tooth front sprocket which would bring the ratio up to 3.92. And, you can do that without needing a longer chain. Downside to a 12 tooth front is it will tend to wear the chain guide on the top of the swing faster and (I am told) wear out the chain a bit faster.

One other thing that may help you get out of 2nd gear is if you improve the low-end torque and power a bit. You could replace the stock pipe with the FMF gnarly woods pipe (torque pipe) or the FMF gnarly desert pipe (rev pipe). I went with the desert pipe and the FMF silencer. Havent been on the trails yet (still lots of snow in Colorado), but just riding on the street, there is a HUGE difference even with stock jetting.

I started looking through all of the parts that I have and found a new in package 12tooth. I think that I will give that a try this weekend and if it makes a big difference I will order a bigger rear sprocket and chain and change back to the 13 tooth front .. thanks for the info.