Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse review

I finally broke down and decided to try a Rekluse clutch for my 03 YZ250F. I called my local dealer to get a price / availability quote. He said it was in stock at Rekluse and the total would be $427 for the EXP 2.0. I ordered and paid for it the next day. Then it took 25 days to get here for an "in stock" item. Looking around the other forums that seems to be pretty common so not a huge deal. I installed it as it came out of the box - six red springs. At first it had a lot of clutch drag at idle. Pulled clutch back out and removed the factory cushion spring. This did help a good bit. I wasn't able to get quite enough cable adjustment to properly set it up so I pulled it back out and installed a spacer between the pushrod and pressure plate bearing. This gave me more adjustment range and helped the drag issue a little more but still not like I'd like it. The basket and drive hub are in excellent shape and I have no drag issues what so ever with the conventional lever setup. Figured I'd ride it a bit and get oil up to temp and see if that helped the drag issue. For the way I ride it didn't work very well at all. I'm a bottom end / midrange woods rider and it stayed in the "slip" zone a lot and seemed to suck the life out of the bike. I pulled it back out and put the 3 silver springs in. This did change the initial application rpm but didn't seem to make it "lock" any sooner. Rode it for about an hour changing the cable adjustment several times but basically wound up back at the recommended settings. Let a friend ride it and he liked what it did to the power. It has a 290 kit so it has a pretty good midrange hit. He liked the clutch killing some of that in the woods. I hated it though. I called Rekluse to send it back and they said no problem. Just include a note saying why and about how much time was on it. It took about 3 days to get my refund from them. My final review is it was a really well made and good looking part that simply didn't agree with my riding style. The only negative about the company is the long time to initially get the clutch. They handled customer support very well with zero issues so they get a thumbs up from me. Clay

I also had the same issue with the EXP on my 2003 YZ250F. It had entirely too much drag which could not be eliminated with much trial and error with the springs etc.., So much so that the engine could be stalled at lower RPM which defeated the purpose. I wound up sending mine back and getting a refund after running 1 Hare Scramble on it. I previously owned the older Z-Start and it worked well.

the rekluse pro is on my 03 yz250f with a 290 and it works like a torque converter.. amazing... I absolutely wont run an enduro race without one now days. I know its more expensive but i'm really sold on the pro. there is a lot more centrifigual pressure with the number of balls in the pro.. i haven't compared to an exp.. my advice is to not give up on the autoclutch especially if your racing enduro. its not so helpful in mx or just trail riding

I think its underated in motocross and trail. I like brake sliding into corners, and the Rekluse just about eliminates the issue of stalling. If you have ever rode single track trail after a storm, its also very nice. The Rekluse is my favorite mod ever. I personally feel that it was the single biggest improvement to my 2008 YZF250. Its easier to ride agressive, can get away with carrying a taller gear through the corner, and all but eliminates stalls in any situation. I have been running the Rekluse Pro for over a year now, and it has been completely trouble free. Love it.

I have heard that the exp kit isn’t setup for a big bore. They mention on their website to call them for proper setup when using the exp with a big bore.

I am not saying you did it wrong, I was wondering if they gave you separate instructions for installing with a big bore kit.

If you have ever rode single track trail after a storm, its also very nice

That's exaclty what made me finally break down and try one. We were at Carolina Adventure World after a good rain - pretty muddy and slick. Their add does mention they offer heavier weights for the EXP but I didn't see how it would eliminated the clutch drag at idle which was pretty annoying. I didn't see where they mentioned about specific setup for big bore on their website (nothing with the included instructions) but I could have missed that. We rode with a guy that had a Rekluse clutch in a CRF450 and it seemed to work beautifully. Now I'm thinking he had the "Pro" clutch also - wish I would have asked now. I'm thinking the "pro" clutch would be better for me as it lists extra tunability but for me and just weekend riding it's just a bit too pricey (too many hobbies). One big reason for posting this is to let people know that they can send them back without any problems so they won't be as scared to try one. Before I bought one, I looked at the classified adds here and e-bay and saw several posts with the description "tried for 30 min. - rider didn't like it" and they were taking a pretty good loss on it. I understand as it's definately a love / hate thing - just trying to let people know they seem to have good customer support if you want to try one. Clay

Look guys, theres a reason why Rekluse still offers the Pro version, and its more expensive. It works better and offers more tuning options. If your willing to spend $400, why not save up an extra $200 and buy the more proven autoclutch. The Pro version is excellent.

I'm looking at getting either the EXP 2.0, or the Z Start Pro for my 07 YZ250F. I just got this bike, and I ride MX tracks (for run, not much racing left in me!) and a lot of single track. I've only rode it on an MX track so far and am waiting for spring to hit the single track. My question is my stock gearing feels a little tall. It's fine on the track, but I'm guessing I will want it geared down for trails. With a rekluse, will that eliminate the need to gear down, or do guys think I will still need to gear down? I keep reading about the feeling of added torque with the addition of the rekluse so maybe I won't need to gear down.

thanks!

Brad

I'm looking at getting either the EXP 2.0, or the Z Start Pro for my 07 YZ250F. I just got this bike, and I ride MX tracks (for run, not much racing left in me!) and a lot of single track. I've only rode it on an MX track so far and am waiting for spring to hit the single track. My question is my stock gearing feels a little tall. It's fine on the track, but I'm guessing I will want it geared down for trails. With a rekluse, will that eliminate the need to gear down, or do guys think I will still need to gear down? I keep reading about the feeling of added torque with the addition of the rekluse so maybe I won't need to gear down.

thanks!

Brad

Depends on what your riding more. If you mostly moto, stick with the taller gearing, if you mostly singletrack, go with a larger rear sprocket. I have the Rekluse Pro and didnt notice any torque increase after the install.

generally the clutch enguages a little above idle so running a gear high or higher gearing still means your lugging the bike out of a tight corner or obstacle. If you run less balls or stronger springs or both like me that will allow you to get more rpms up before total enguagement. that means more power since the clutch is sliding while the rpm is going up.

so to answer your question about gearing it depends on how your rekluse is setup.