2012 KX450f and engine problems?

Hi, just curious, are the new 2012's having reliability problems? The reason I ask is a few weekends ago, 2 of them failed in the Worcs racing series. I'm interested in one, but now am somewhat unsure if they're as bulletproof as the previous models.

I have heard of a couple that have had issues, very early on actually hour wise. Mine has almost 30 hours on it at this point and besides a minor valve adjustment on the intakes it is running perfectly. There are always going to be some bikes from every brand that experience problems, I would not let it deter you from purchasing one.

I am also considering getting a 2012 KXF450. I had a 2010 model before going to a sx250 last year. I had no problems with the 2010, in fact it has been the most reliable 450 I have owned. What I am concerned about are the cranks on the 2012. Is there a problem with the cranks? Never heard direclty of a problem, but a certain video circulating Youtube and a few other post on this site have me worried there is a problem.

The last thing I want is a engine sitting in fragments. I have to add I find it difficult to believe there is an issue, since my 2010 was rock solid. What is low-down regarding the cranks?

i have 2 buddys who bought their 12 kx 450s same time aroung 16hr both bikes cranks exploded... not good. both are back at dealer trying to get help from kawi.

Pictures?

It must have warmed up enough to ride there! :bonk:

Not yet. Maybe in 4-6 weeks.

i have 2 buddys who bought their 12 kx 450s same time aroung 16hr both bikes cranks exploded... not good. both are back at dealer trying to get help from kawi.

I call BS or they both forgot to put oil in them. There a lots of people at local tracks that have them with no problems and on the AX circuit as well

The "I have a buddy who's ______ blew up" ....story is rampant amongst all brands.

Total BS.

The '12's are fine. That year and model rule the tracks across the country along with the 450 SXF.

Just take care of it and ride the crap out of it.

Hi, just curious, are the new 2012's having reliability problems? The reason I ask is a few weekends ago, 2 of them failed in the Worcs racing series. I'm interested in one, but now am somewhat unsure if they're as bulletproof as the previous models.

i wonder if those motors were stock or modified,who built them and what mods,if stock how many hrs.i have 22hrs on mine and no problems,i'm using JGR oil with a zink additive.change it often.as far as the you tube video.i think in the comment section,they said that the motor was taken apart and modified,,not a stock motor.

The "I have a buddy who's ______ blew up" ....story is rampant amongst all brands.

Total BS.

The '12's are fine. That year and model rule the tracks across the country along with the 450 SXF.

Just take care of it and ride the crap out of it.

coming from a bloke that doesnt own one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

my bike runs fine for one practice, when i go out for 2nd prac it starts cutting out speratically after a few laps. seems like running out of fuel. I have tested the fule pump and changed the ijectur. the bike sometimes will not start unless i hold the trotlle wide open when i kick it. I only have 13 hours on it.